• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So who’s better?

haka

I think Bobby Saxton holds the record for leaving City in the highest position, around 8th in 1979 (as mentioned above, decamped to Argyle and replaced by Brian Godfrey).

Other managers did well but then hung around for the decline so the memories are more mixed.

dommers

Special mention for Eamo too who stepped into the position when we were at our lowest and we should always be thanful for that
Good point I forgot about Eamo. Clearly not the most succesful but very much up their in terms of the best as he understood the club ethos at the time better than any manager and we should always be grateful for that.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
With so many 'Big' clubs with relatively huge budgets next season in L1 finishing top 10 will be one heck of an achievement
Agreed it would be one heck of an achievement but I think there were actually more big L1 clubs the last time we were up (and managed 8th albeit not all of the following were in the division that season) than this time. For me Leeds, Southampton, Norwich are bigger clubs than Sunderland, Derby, Ipswich.

SaintJames

Agreed it would be one heck of an achievement but I think there were actually more big L1 clubs the last time we were up (and managed 8th albeit not all of the following were in the division that season) than this time. For me Leeds, Southampton, Norwich are bigger clubs than Sunderland, Derby, Ipswich.
Leeds are for sure the biggest but not sure if there is much to choose between the other five? Add Sheff Wed to the list if they miss out

Avening Posse

Tis gets the crown for me for the double promotion. He also managed to get us back to Wembley etc after the inevitable crap years when the better players from the promotion teams inevitably left and money became tight again. Godfrey gave me the most memorable when I look back as I was a starry eyed 13 yr old and those cup games under the lights will live with me forever. TC’s promotion team was amazing too. What really excites though, is looking forward. This season MT has really produced the goods, and for the most part through very entertaining football (which is why I think the crowds this season have been so impressive). He’s had a cash advantage, but still less to play with than a few of the others in the division. I think if he can keep the better players and add a couple the next couple of seasons could put him top for me

grecIAN Harris

Unless I've missed it, nobody has mentioned that as well as winning the League under Coops we also reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup and we were minutes from knocking out 1st Division Norwich and the 4th round of the League Cup and were minutes from knocking out 2nd Division Sunderland having already knocked out 3rd Division Swansea, 2nd Division Blackburn and 3rd Division Blackpool in the previous three rounds. So on that basis, it's Terry Cooper for me as things currently stand.

Phil Sayers

Leeds are for sure the biggest but not sure if there is much to choose between the other five? Add Sheff Wed to the list if they miss out
Sunderland I think are probably on a par with or slightly above Southampton and Norwich but Derby and Ipswich a little smaller - still big clubs no doubt. With regards Sheff Wed what a day this was!

Mind you this wasn't bad either!

dontpassback

Terry Cooper

Oldsmobile-88

I find it difficult to pick out the best managers/successful Grecian teams.Each has brought a different style of success in different eras.

Not sure how I can compare the 1977 promotion teams with 1990,2009 2022 ? All completely different & successful in their own unique way.

I don’t think the 2008 Conference Play Off win can be mentioned in the same breath as promotions from the 4th Tier.
A 4th place finish in a division where around a third of the teams were part time is no where near on par with the above promotions mentioned.

Tactically, MT has the edge on the other managers of the promotion sides I have seen.

Oldsmobile-88

Unless I've missed it, nobody has mentioned that as well as winning the League under Coops we also reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup and we were minutes from knocking out 1st Division Norwich and the 4th round of the League Cup and were minutes from knocking out 2nd Division Sunderland having already knocked out 3rd Division Swansea, 2nd Division Blackburn and 3rd Division Blackpool in the previous three rounds. So on that basis, it's Terry Cooper for me as things currently stand.
2 Great Cup campaigns in a season, a rarity for Grecian supporters.
Some fantastic games..