• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So who’s better?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
With 8th, 9th and 11th place finishes and an FA cup quarter final. He's still my most successful too.
Loved that team, streetwise and hard as nails. 😍

Antony Moxey

With 8th, 9th and 11th place finishes and an FA cup quarter final. He's still my most successful too.
I guess ‘success’ has different definitions. What did he actually win? Tisdale got us promoted twice, Taylor and Cooper one apiece with Cooper and potentially Taylor actually lifting trophies. Is that less successful than merely staying up, which both Cooper and Alan Ball achieved too?

iscalad

I guess ‘success’ has different definitions. What did he actually win? Tisdale got us promoted twice, Taylor and Cooper one apiece with Cooper and potentially Taylor actually lifting trophies. Is that less successful than merely staying up, which both Cooper and Alan Ball achieved too?
All about opinions innit

Max Payne 2

I remember 89-90 and there was a few stinkers away from home (Though boxing day at Southend lit the title touch paper. What a match!). This team looks more solid and balanced away from home and that performance against Colchester was as good as the 89-90 team.

Last 3 times City went up resulted in 16-18th placed finishes. I believe this team can go better than that.

A Slacker

Matt Taylor has taken four plus years to get to where he wanted to be. This is his first success (of hopefully many) after a couple of years where some on here were questioning his ability.
Bobby Saxton's success was instant but he didn't stick around for long and then went to the dark side.
Brian Godfrey gave us some of the most exciting times particularly in terms of the 80/81 cup run.
Alan Ball gave us passion and that 3 - 0 win at Home Park.
Terry Cooper built the most amazing team and finished the job despite Darren Rowbotham's injury. However he didn't stick around.
If you take the first 5 years of Tis' stint - conference promotion, league 2 promotion, staying up in league one and then 8th place - he is still the top. However after that it all went wrong very quickly and his reputation will always be tarnished.

C j phill

Still a way to go, but KMT will become our best ever all-time manager.

You heard it here first.
I think that would be the case, if he stays for another 4/5 seasons, to consolidate the Club as a League 1 member, however, I think his ambitions and confidence are higher than Paul Tisdake and I suspect that if a Championship club come calling at the end of 2022/23 season he'll be off.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Should we prevail next Saturday and lift the L2 title, will that elevate Matt Taylor above Paul Tisdale as one of our greatest managers? At the moment, having won our only real piece of silverware, Terry Cooper still sits at the top for me, and probably will remain so purely due to that remarkable home season, but, despite his latter years at the club, Tisdale still sits a firm second with me due to his net plus one promotions, the Wembley visits, the play-offs and equalling our highest ever league finish.

Taylor would be third at the moment, gaining a promotion is rare as hen’s teeth for us and he’s one of only five managers in our history to achieve that, but should he win the title that’ll nudge him above Tisdale. Who knows, a good cup run, L1 play-offs at some point, it’s entirely possible Taylor could sit by himself at the top of the tree.

Thoughts?
Probably level with Tisdale but still second behind TC because his team also had a couple of decent Cup Runs…..FA and as it was known then the League Cup.

arthur

Brian Godfrey keeping us in the third tier makes him my most successful City manager ever. (So far).
The question is who is better, not who is the most successful. You could argue that this is the same thing. But you could argue that there's a difference

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me current order :
1. Terry Cooper (despite the second spell)
2. Matt Taylor (will secure this spot with us as champions next week0
3. Tis (gave me some great moments but very bitter end)
4. Brian Godfrey (that cup run)
5. Bobby Saxton

Special mention for Eamo too who stepped into the position when we were at our lowest and we should always be thanful for that

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Those were our 'halcyon' days. Incredible to think that in over 100 years of football we have only been competitive in the third tier for three successive years! Perhaps therefore that should be the barometer of how to constitute MT as the best ever? If we manage three top ten finishes in L1 he has the crown. With so many 'Big' clubs with relatively huge budgets next season in L1 finishing top 10 will be one heck of an achievement