• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So who’s better?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Should we prevail next Saturday and lift the L2 title, will that elevate Matt Taylor above Paul Tisdale as one of our greatest managers? At the moment, having won our only real piece of silverware, Terry Cooper still sits at the top for me, and probably will remain so purely due to that remarkable home season, but, despite his latter years at the club, Tisdale still sits a firm second with me due to his net plus one promotions, the Wembley visits, the play-offs and equalling our highest ever league finish.

Taylor would be third at the moment, gaining a promotion is rare as hen’s teeth for us and he’s one of only five managers in our history to achieve that, but should he win the title that’ll nudge him above Tisdale. Who knows, a good cup run, L1 play-offs at some point, it’s entirely possible Taylor could sit by himself at the top of the tree.

Thoughts?

Grecian Max

The way Tisdale set his teams up meant we were never going to win a league under him. He did achieve back to back promotions though with a limited team so I think it would be evens atm.

I would love to see us finish above 8th to properly put it to bed. Get in the League 1 play offs would be some achievement but possible I think…

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think if we win the title then it elevates Taylor above Tisdale as it will be one each on net promotions but winning the Championship pips it. Its a close call but then taking into account both of their personalities Taylor wins as Tisdale was a c0ck and Taylor isn't.

Entertainment wise Coopers team of the 89/90 season was the best I've seen, although my judgement might be clouded by nostalgia and me being a young lad at the time.

SaintJames

This thread will inevitably get derailed into a black and white bitchfest over Tiz which is a shame as the question is pertinant. Currently Tisdale is still (despite the latter years) the best manager we have had (though there is a debate over Billy McDevitt in the 1930's!). Back to back promotions and the 8th place requires Matty to do something more to claim the mantle. However, the way Tiz rebuilt the club (yes I know with many others) is why we are where we are today so his impact was more than just league success (cos there sure wasnt much cup success!)

jimbo-gould

I think I’d have Tisdale above Taylor if it wasn’t for the absolutely awful home form we had for about a year. Tisdale did have more constraints in terms of what players he could bring in compared to the last few years when we started successfully selling players for big bucks, but it didn’t feel like he instilled any passion in them to get a good result.

In my book I would have them as currently even, but anything above mid to lower in the table next year would sway it for me in Taylor‘s favour.

arthur

Tisdale was a good manager. But he became a mediocre one. This suggests he wasn't that good to start with.

I think Tisdale's talents were literally limited. He was very good at some aspects of the job, but weak in others. From what I've seen of Taylor his talents are broader. And I have no reason to believe that those talents are any less than Tisdale's so have to conclude that he is the better of the two.

He is unproven at League One level, so it would be unwise for him to leave now. If we finish in the play offs and lose narrowly having played well he will almost certainly receive offers he couldn't refuse...

Grecian Max

This thread will inevitably get derailed into a black and white bitchfest over Tiz which is a shame as the question is pertinant. Currently Tisdale is still (despite the latter years) the best manager we have had (though there is a debate over Billy McDevitt in the 1930's!). Back to back promotions and the 8th place requires Matty to do something more to claim the mantle. However, the way Tiz rebuilt the club (yes I know with many others) is why we are where we are today so his impact was more than just league success (cos there sure wasnt much cup success!)
The 8th place often disguises that we were pretty terrible first year up and went really defensive (sign of things later to come) - if MT continues the upward trajectory then he would be outdoing Tisdale imo

Grecian Max

I think I’d have Tisdale above Taylor if it wasn’t for the absolutely awful home form we had for about a year. Tisdale did have more constraints in terms of what players he could bring in compared to the last few years when we started successfully selling players for big bucks, but it didn’t feel like he instilled any passion in them to get a good result.

In my book I would have them as currently even, but anything above mid to lower in the table next year would sway it for me in Taylor‘s favour.
3 home wins in a calendar year I seem to remember 😂

Pete Martin (CTID)

Still a way to go, but KMT will become our best ever all-time manager.

You heard it here first.

tavyred

Brian Godfrey keeping us in the third tier makes him my most successful City manager ever. (So far).