• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should we be considering switching to 3-5-2?

tonykellowfan

This would allow us to play:

Ward/Maxted

Hartridge - Parkes - Sweeney as a back 3

Wing backs of Key and Sparkes

CM3 of Collins - Taylor - Law

Jay - Bowman up front

The advantage of this would that would get Law back in the team without weakening centre midfield and Key and Sparkes would be able to play their more attacking roles while having the energy to get up and down the pitch.

The downside clearly is that Randall does not fit into this line-up although his form has dipped lately so a rotation for him might be worth considering.

ryancooper327

Ward/Maxted

Jay - Bowman up front

The advantage of this would that would get Law back in the team without weakening centre midfield and Key and Sparkes would be able to play their more attacking roles while having the energy to get up and down the pitch.

The downside clearly is that Randall does not fit into this line-up although his form has dipped lately so a rotation for him might be worth considering.
Could rotate to 3-4-3 with Collins and Taylor in CM and a front 3 of Jay, Bowman and Randall. I’ve been asking a return to a back 3 for a long time, hopefully will be possible with the new CB.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whatever we do, and despite being something of an enigma, we do miss Williams and, when he's ready, he needs to be playing imo.

crocks

Ward/Maxted

Jay - Bowman up front

This is exactly what I have been thinking since Tuesday's game.

JCWhoosh

Could rotate to 3-4-3 with Collins and Taylor in CM and a front 3 of Jay, Bowman and Randall. I’ve been asking a return to a back 3 for a long time, hopefully will be possible with the new CB.
I've been thinking that too. We seem a little 1 dimensional and bringing like for like off the bench. Imagine the strength and impact that Randall and co would have if they weren't in the 1st 11.

Ash

Ward/Maxted

Jay - Bowman up front

Good shout, gets Key back to his best position, Law comes in without dropping Jay, Randall & Williams both injured ATM anyway, so not even a need to drop someone who'd normally be a shoe-in. What's not to like?

tonykellowfan

I think this worked very well for us on Saturday, I hope we continue with it.

MT prefered Caprice to Key when compared to my line up, but I think we looked better when Key was brought on.

Taylor being injured, Atangana played and I actually think he did well and might be the answer for us at this stage of the season with the heavy home pitch.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

MT prefered Caprice to Key when compared to my line up, but I think we looked better when Key was brought on.

Taylor being injured, Atangana played and I actually think he did well and might be the answer for us at this stage of the season with the heavy home pitch.
I thought we looked much better after the substitutions but don't know whether that was because of the change in formation or because of the quality of the players we were able to bring on.

andrew p long

Key had Covid and has been out. He is definitely one of the players who can't play 95 minutes every three days at the moment.

I suspect MT (and everyone else) would play a fully fit/recovered Key in front of Caprice