• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should Exeter City remain a fan-owned club?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
By the fact that we're having this thread and still have the Trust as majority shareholder the answer could possibly be YES!
There may well have been interest from such people. Whether they were the right people to be taking over ECFC and had the best long-term interests of ECFC at heart is another matter entirely.

If Trust ownership has made it harder for the chancers, charlatans, tax dodgers and asset strippers that bedevil professional football to get their grubby paws on the Club, then for me that is a good thing. Once bitten and all that...

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Chinon Rose with bubbles, then a pair of reds: St Nicolas de Bourgueil and Chinon
What all three??? From first sip to final glug while wringing the bottle for the last drip?? Heaven have mercy on your liver Al.

ex_user1234

Resigned
There may well have been interest from such people. Whether they were the right people to be taking over ECFC and had the best long-term interests of ECFC at heart is another matter entirely.

If Trust ownership has made it harder for the chancers, charlatans, tax dodgers and asset strippers that bedevil professional football to get their grubby paws on the Club, then for me that is a good thing. Once bitten and all that...
I agree that once bitten, twice shy is a useful heuristic for dealing with individuals. If someone screws you once, it's very possible they will do it again. To apply that logic to an entire class of people, however, seems unwise. You could be treated unfairly by a teacher at school, but that doesn't mean to say that all teachers are bad. The same applies to businesspeople and owners of football clubs. Like all human beings they are a mixed bunch. Judge each of them on their own individual merits as you would each different teacher when you were at school.

Alistair20000

What all three??? From first sip to final glug while wringing the bottle for the last drip?? Heaven have mercy on your liver Al.
More the just me in the household Geoffrey

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that once bitten, twice shy is a useful heuristic for dealing with individuals. If someone screws you once, it's very possible they will do it again. To apply that logic to an entire class of people, however, seems unwise. You could be treated unfairly by a teacher at school, but that doesn't mean to say that all teachers are bad. The same applies to businesspeople and owners of football clubs. Like all human beings they are a mixed bunch. Judge each of them on their own individual merits as you would each different teacher when you were at school.
Apart from the fact in this case more than 50% of the "teachers" are conducting criminal activity.
It is not one or two bad apples, it's a terminal cancer which is destroying football.

DB9

Apart from the fact in this case more than 50% of the "teachers" are conducting criminal activity.
It is not one or two bad apples, it's a terminal cancer which is destroying football.
50% conducting criminal activity? I'd love to see evidence of that.

REDMIKE

Are you saying that the club have had No interest from wealthy people/businesses since the trust took over ? 🤔
What business man would want to buy Exeter when they has no assets of value.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wasn't suggesting all business people are bad. Obviously this is not the case.
Dannyred suggested that the Trust must have had offers for its interest over the last 17 years. I daresay that is true. If any of those offers were serious, credible and viable then they should have been considered but I doubt many (if any) of them were. Football does not make sensible investment for sensible business people.

There are very few owners of clubs in L1 and L2 who I wished owned ECFC. Even if someone appears to come with bucket loads of cash and promising the earth, you are utterly reliant on that one person to deliver. When he/she can't or their business fails, you are utterly fooked and then you become even more desperate looking for the next white knight.

If a genuine consortium of local businesses/business people, who had a history of engagement and sponsorship at ECFC, got together and submitted a plan to buy the Club that had failsafes built into it and maintained a strong supporter representation in the decision process, then I would think the Trust should strongly consider it. Otherwise it is is right to be deeply sceptical of a seeming amazing offer coming from nowhere - what are their true motives, why Exeter City?

Still intrigued to know who or what your Option B is on the ballot?

DB9

If a genuine consortium of local businesses/business people, who had a history of engagement and sponsorship at ECFC, got together and submitted a plan to buy the Club that had failsafes built into it and maintained a strong supporter representation in the decision process, then I would think the Trust should strongly consider it. Otherwise it is is right to be deeply sceptical of a seeming amazing offer coming from nowhere - what are their true motives, why Exeter City?
I'd be very surprised if any club has a strong supporter representation in the decision process if they are privatly owned, They may pay lip service to it but i bet any representation do not include any voting or decision rights. If a person or persons who has the money to buy a club they would not want others telling them how to spend their money or run their club.

Last edited:

ex_user1234

Resigned
50% conducting criminal activity? I'd love to see evidence of that.
Yes, I'd like to see evidence of that also.