• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Short Corners

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am another who is disappointed that we take so many short corners but, equally, I think we also lose out by not having a John Challinor or a Matt Gill type player who can take throw-ins and launch them into the penalty area.

Surely there is one or more players in our squad who has a decent throw that could be worked on in training. These kinds of throw-ins can be as valuable as corners.

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Total waste...and too many wasted free kicks as well.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disagree!!!

Their is a clear advantage in taking a corner short (in a very similar way to taking a free kick short,) the advantage of changing the angle is huge.

Statistically the amount of goals stemming from short free kicks massively outweighs the direct "have a crack" approach.

In the same way by knocking a corner short it increases the visable angle on goal allowing the ball to be whipped inwards towards goal. Just as with free kicks, far more goals have been scored from playing the ball short than have been scored directly.

As some will no doubt point out mire often than not someone gets a header or touch on goal inside the box in these short pass scenarios, however that is irrelevent because if you pass short you have both the option to cross (which existed before,) also the ability to "legitimately" have a direct shot on target.

I Kant see any logical reason for people disliking the initial shortcorner option.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I Kant see any logical reason for people disliking the initial shortcorner option.
All very philosophical!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
the short corner is fine if having taken it short we then cross it before being closed down, we seem to take too long to try and get the best angle and miss out. We also are guilty sometimes of trying to be too careful to carve out a perfect opportunity from open play as well.

Don't know why everyone has such a problem with the short corner - yes a lot of them break down but how many long corners simply result in the ball being headed clear or the keeper collecting? The important thing is to mix up so the defenders don't know what's coming and I would say we generally do this.

Also I submit into evidence Rotherham away, May 2009 for an example of the effectiveness of the short corner.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rich, that I will not disagree with.

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Short corners taken by City rarely result in a good outcome. Most often the ball ends up back on the halfway line.

It wastes a player who I would rather see wide on the opposite side of the pitch so he can put the ball back in the danger area after everyone misses the cross!

i_m

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
Short corners and "quick" free kicks are ok if the team is in tune and know what is meant to happen. Too often, too many players are looking the other way and appear to not have a clue or be aware. To the 'run of the mill fan' it looks so wasteful.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

If your going to take a short corner it has to be done quickly, ie the two players involved get there early and then the recipient then gets the ball in quickly. As soon as you start slowing the play down over it at any point it is rendered useless unless, of course, you're in the dying embers of the game an are trying to see it out.