• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Short Corners

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your memory doesn't extend back to May 2009 then when a short corner effectively sealed us promotion to League 1?
Yes you are right, 1 success out of 643 failed attempts proves me wrong there doesn't it.

Who knows if we hadn't ****** around with short ones all seaon we might have won the league.

Typical student.

Last edited:

wemissmoxey

Yes you are right, 1 success out of 643 failed attempts proves me wrong there doesn't it.

Who knows if we hadn't ****** around with short ones all seaon we might have won the league.

Typical student.
To be fair I remember Noel Blake heading in a late winner which was as a result of a short corner, late 1990's I believe.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
They can work if you pull the oppo out and then whip a ball in quickley...

im old skool , get it in the mixer.

Cravat

Aye, I think we are all agreed that they can work, it's just that we seem to feck them up far more than we get them right. We win a corner, the crowd get excited, the players come up from the back, it's played short, closed down, and the opposition break. Momentum swings away from us and the crowd are disappointed.

wemissmoxey

Aye, I think we are all agreed that they can work, it's just that we seem to feck them up far more than we get them right. We win a corner, the crowd get excited, the players come up from the back, it's played short, closed down, and the opposition break. Momentum swings away from us and the crowd are disappointed.
Spot on Cravvy, spot on :-O

Grecian_Jay

Didn't want to start a new thread os thought I would bring this one back up. What is the deal? Why are we still trying to work the short corners when they clearly don't work.

Saturday was frustrating we took a lot of short ones and never once looked threatening. Last Tuesday we had the horror show that was Noble fannying around on the ball after a short corner and then getting dis-possessed and Southampton scoring not long after.

I dont know if i'm alone in this but I never once think we can score from a corner (or free-kick). Is it the quality of set-piece takers at our disposal? Harley is good on the ball we all know that but his corners are terrible. Billy takes a good one but doesn't often get a look in.

We look so tame on attacking set-pieces, can this be worked on in the training ground? Should it be? Is this the reason why we attempt short ones to mix it up a bit? Either way we need ot change something as apart from Duffy at Huddersfield not a lot of goals from corners are coming to my mind (we don't need every goal we have ever scored from a corner listed).

ECFC Music

I am another who is disappointed that we take so many short corners but, equally, I think we also lose out by not having a John Challinor or a Matt Gill type player who can take throw-ins and launch them into the penalty area.

Surely there is one or more players in our squad who has a decent throw that could be worked on in training. These kinds of throw-ins can be as valuable as corners.
We do James Dunne has a long throw and i think we could use him more for that purpose.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
we had a couple of good corners early on possibly due to the wind with one being headed wide by bertie?? but was frustrated too at reverting to the short ones. This maybe due to our best header in matty taylor being absent but would prefer us to get it straight in.

Short corners in themselves are not a bad idea, at least now and again but we seem very poor at executing them. if its going to work the balls needs to go back in quick from either taker or short man before defence gets chance to close down.

Willy Nilly

They are generally terrible. Tisdale - sort it out.

wemissmoxey

If there is a howling gale just get the ball into the fecking mixer and see what happens.