• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sheffield Wednesday suspend training

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
And we might not receive the 60 k for getting through either, so over £90k in total ?
I would assume that if we were awarded the game we would get the prize money for going through. Probably not the BT Sport money though.
If Wednesday are opening the training ground on Thursday though it seems that they want to try and fulfill fixture even with only having two days to prepare.

Matt Phillips

And we might not receive the 60 k for getting through either, so over £90k in total ?

With games back to being behind closed doors, I wonder if it's back to the 75%/25% split for winners and losers.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have not been able to find anything definitive on this. There is mention in the Daily Star, that the game could be postponed, but I guess awarding the game is a distinct possibility. However, with a Government announcement on "tougher restrictions" due later this evening. a suspension of the league (and cup competitions) is also a possibility I would think.
BBC reporting government sources as saying behind-closed-doors sport will continue as before.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would assume that if we were awarded the game we would get the prize money for going through. Probably not the BT Sport money though.
If Wednesday are opening the training ground on Thursday though it seems that they want to try and fulfill fixture even with only having two days to prepare.
Quite. If we go through to the fourth round then I'm sure we'd get the prize money, regardless of how we got there.

paperclip

I'd pay that any day for a 4th round tie!
In a normal season then yes, probably. However if we end up in round 4, get drawn against an unfashionable club and aren't shown live on TV (assuming fans won't be allowed back in stadiums for quite some time yet) then surely we would forgo more money than we would make otherwise against Wednesday?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
In a normal season then yes, probably. However if we end up in round 4, get drawn against an unfashionable club and aren't shown live on TV (assuming fans won't be allowed back in stadiums for quite some time yet) then surely we would forgo more money than we would make otherwise against Wednesday?
All this rounds games are being shown live, no reason to believe that they won't all be shown in Round 4

Colesman Ballz

Quite. If we go through to the fourth round then I'm sure we'd get the prize money, regardless of how we got there.
I don't have the details to hand, but iirc that wasn't what happened at least in the preliminary rounds, teams got a bye but not the prize money. So that would seem to set a precedent unless the FA decide to do a U turn ?

denzel

If the game is to be called off can they do it now, so we can bring the Bolton match forward to give us more time for the next game

Red Devon

Has it been confirmed yet whether the game will be on ifollow or not?

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Would hope the game can be played. Will leave a sour taste if we progressed due to COVID. Let’s not forget we could easily have an outbreak and suffer elimination ourselves.

I would love us to progress, but let’s hope it’s by winning, even if Wednesday end up having to send down an under strength and under prepared team.

Fully appreciate that if clubs had big COVID issues there might come a time where sides might have to drop out, but it should be an absolute last resort or the integrity of the cup is devalued even more than it has by other things in recent times.