• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Senior Reds

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Someone should start a thread on it.

StroudGrecian

Has Stroudy just qualified to be a Senior Red?

I think we should be told.
I was just about to ask this.

Best present ever?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Carlisle were once in the old first Division and, if i remember rightly - without resorting to the internet - were even top for a week or two, then slip like the proverbial down and down and down, until they are where they are today.

My late cousin's, wife's, father was a director of Carlisle for many years, owned a few electrical shops in the area.
They were indeed. They were there when I was camping in the Lake District in the 1970s.

Oldsmobile-88

Carlisle were once in the old first Division and, if i remember rightly
1974/75 season..They were narrowly relegated at the end of that season.A few 20,000 plus crowds at Brunton Park during that campaign.

PeteUSA

Eric Welsh and Mike Hughes used to come down to the old Clock Tower Cafe with us boys when they both signed for City having arrived from Ireland. Nice lads they were too. I understand that Eric lives in Paignton now; I wish I could look him up.

Avening Posse

Has Stroudy just qualified to be a Senior Red?

I think we should be told.
Unless he has aged massively since I last saw him, I would say it is unlikely, but all this talk of weird world events on other threads in the last 24 hours does cast some doubt in my mind.....

Pete Martin (CTID)

Eric Welsh and Mike Hughes used to come down to the old Clock Tower Cafe with us boys when they both signed for City having arrived from Ireland. Nice lads they were too. I understand that Eric lives in Paignton now; I wish I could look him up.
Ahh, the Clock Tower Cafe. Sitting in there during college lunch break listening to 'Je t'aime' being played on Radio Caroline. Happy days!

PeteUSA

Ahh, the Clock Tower Cafe. Sitting in there during college lunch break listening to 'Je t'aime' being played on Radio Caroline. Happy days!
My days were somewhat ahead of Radio Caroline, Pete. More a crackly Radio Luxembourg! When it first became our nightly hang-out of choice, there was no juke box. Eric used to have an old fashioned 10 player machine in the alcove halfway up the stairs! Then when the wall jukebox's came out, Eric got a couple, with the mechanics of the thing in a spare room up by the toilets. 'The Clock' was a brilliant place; met the wife there in 63'.

Last edited:

iscalad

Hot on the heals of our very enjoyable evening with Eric Welsh last Tuesday, the Senior Reds have another event tomorrow evening, Wednesday 18th October, when our guest will be Mike Mullarkey. This is our rearranged September meeting.

Mike reached the top of his career when he ran the line during the 2010 World Cup Final, and now plays a leading role in the training of Premier League Referee's Assistants. He's agreed to bring his laptop to show us some video clips demonstrating the complexities of running the line, as well as other memorabilia such as his World Cup Final medal.

This will, no doubt, be of interest to those who sit behind me in the IP stand, as he will explain the off-side rule.

Please note: we are now unable to use the Family Room, so this event will take place in the Trust Suite, which is the large room upstairs above the Centre Spot. Either Phil Wright or Phil Bater, will be loitering around Red Square to help anyone requiring directions. The doors will open at 6pm for a 6.30pm start, and the meeting will be chaired by Vic Morgan.

The bar will be open downstairs as usual, and we hope as many as possible will come along to what should be another great evening. Fellow supporters, friends and potential new members welcome.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Did anybody Film the Eric Welsh evening, old bean?