• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD)

IBA

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very interesting article.

Legohead

Banned
I too suffer from SAD. Interestingly my theory is not based around the dark and shortness of light, but the TYPE of weather we get in Britain in winter.

For example. Many colder countries such as Norway, Sweden etc have lots of snow, ice and crisp winters days that make up the bulk of their winter. Whilst in Britain we mainly get dreary, dull, wet days with wind. This type of weather along with changes in barometric pressure contribute to us feeling SAD. Literally.

Just imagine how you feel if you get a week of bright winters days and loads of snow. It's still winter and it gets dark quicker but i somehow feel better. Yet if we get a week filled with nothing but grey, leaden skies, rain and wind (which is what British winters now usually consist of) then it has much more of an impact on our moods and how we feel physically too.

So, it's not necessarily about the winter weather but more about the TYPE of winter weather we are experiencing most.

Anyone tried a lightbox? I've been meaning to get one actually.

Spoonz Red E

I haven't got a light box but I have bought an alarm that wakes you up slowly with a light (starting as red and going to full on white after half an hour)
It's got an optional bell alarm but I never use it now as I wake up anyway.

It also has the reverse sunset function and I have yet to be still awake once the half hour 'sundown' setting has gone to dark.

Best investment I've made for a while.

Legohead

Banned
I haven't got a light box but I have bought an alarm that wakes you up slowly with a light (starting as red and going to full on white after half an hour)
It's got an optional bell alarm but I never use it now as I wake up anyway.

It also has the reverse sunset function and I have yet to be still awake once the half hour 'sundown' setting has gone to dark.

Best investment I've made for a while.
I've also got an alarm. It's called 3 cats!
:D

Interesting about the alarm that you bought Spoonz. Not heard of those types before. Sound much better and much more natural than the pending heart attack that is a traditional alarm.

IBA

I too suffer from SAD. Interestingly my theory is not based around the dark and shortness of light, but the TYPE of weather we get in Britain in winter.

For example. Many colder countries such as Norway, Sweden etc have lots of snow, ice and crisp winters days that make up the bulk of their winter. Whilst in Britain we mainly get dreary, dull, wet days with wind. This type of weather along with changes in barometric pressure contribute to us feeling SAD. Literally.

Just imagine how you feel if you get a week of bright winters days and loads of snow. It's still winter and it gets dark quicker but i somehow feel better. Yet if we get a week filled with nothing but grey, leaden skies, rain and wind (which is what British winters now usually consist of) then it has much more of an impact on our moods and how we feel physically too.

So, it's not necessarily about the winter weather but more about the TYPE of winter weather we are experiencing most.

Anyone tried a lightbox? I've been meaning to get one actually.
I have to strongly disagree with you're saying , in Northern Norway today there are just 3 hours of daylight , compared to nearly 9 hours in Exeter!!!!

Despite Norwegian weather may be crisper and brighter and the English weather duller, the fact that we have 6 hours more daylight obviously defeats your argument!!

Spoonz Red E

I've also got an alarm. It's called 3 cats!
:D

Interesting about the alarm that you bought Spoonz. Not heard of those types before. Sound much better and much more natural than the pending heart attack that is a traditional alarm.
This is the one I got.
I actually got it £20 cheaper as it was on sale in John Lewis.

Legohead

Banned
I have to strongly disagree with you're saying , in Northern Norway today there are just 3 hours of daylight , compared to nearly 9 hours in Exeter!!!!

Despite Norwegian weather may be crisper and brighter and the English weather duller, the fact that we have 6 hours more daylight obviously defeats your argument!!
Wow. Calm down a bit IBA. I hadn't realised a different view was considered some sort of ultimate fight to the death. :oops:

Obviously SAD is impacted by the lack of light in the winter. That's not in dispute and i never did actually say that it wasn't. What i was saying is that the different weather types can also impact sufferers of SAD but in a different way to the lack of daylight hours. I perhaps did not make this clear.

So yes, you are completely correct in that the lack of daylight hours is the primary cause of SAD and the types of weather also can contribute to feelings of depression etc during winter months.

fred binneys head

It’s a bit late, dark and cold, no wonder you two are a bit spiky.

Spoonz Red E

As someone who really does not enjoy winters what Lego said absolutely resonates with me.
It's not the amount of daytime hours - I have no problem with night times.
I've worked nightshifts in the summer and still enjoyed the fewer hours afforded to me and felt OK.

It's the quality of the daytime hours - a short clear spell on an otherwise grey winter's day lifts me up no end.