• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD)

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
O/T but I absolutely detest Hallowe’en. Another stupid Americanism brought over here with the simple intention of rinsing parents of even more for cheap tat and costumes from the big supermarkets, it’s funny how we spent the whole year teaching our children not to accept treats from strangers yet on Hallowe’en we actively encourage it.

It, apart from the two weeks either side of Nov. 5th, is the only time I hope for monsoon-like rain between the hours of 5:00 pm and midnight.

As for SAD, I know a couple of people who say they’re affected by it. Not ever having it suffered it myself I find it hard to empathise, but if it’s a real thing for them then I hope they can find some way of countering it and getting through the literally dark times.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's middle of Jan to the end of March that gets me. I've had my fill of the cold weather by then and warm weather feels like an age away.
In my case, I start to cheer up a bit when we get into January. We seem to be making progress by then. Not long till the snowdrops appear, then the primroses..........!

tavyred

Totally sympathise with the sufferers of this condition, I used to work with someone who had it very badly every year, it completely changed her personality to the extent she saved up most of her annual leave for the jan/feb/mar period.
I’m very lucky in that I’m ready to embrace the next season at the end of the last one. Absolutely love Christmas although I do find NYE strangely depressing and I’m usually in bed way before midnight most years.

elginCity

Miserable old git 😂

contrabombarde

Yes it really is a well documented condition and much more prevalent than previously thought. There are special lamps available which you can buy which apparently help.

As a previous sufferer I have spent the past few years in Turkey January and February but obviously this is not possible this year.

Out of interest I did discuss this with a local GP friend in Turkey who told me that SAD was virtually unheard of in the south of the country (there being more light intensity nearer the equator) but much more common in the north.

STURTZ

O/T but I absolutely detest Hallowe’en. Another stupid Americanism brought over here with the simple intention of rinsing parents of even more for cheap tat and costumes from the big supermarkets, it’s funny how we spent the whole year teaching our children not to accept treats from strangers yet on Hallowe’en we actively encourage it.
Echo all that, Americanism adopted by the media in an attempt to boost sales of chinese products and disgusting pumpkins (we used to stick a candle in a swede, what's wrong with that?).

Unfortunately our traditional Nov 5th celebration has suffered as a consequence, there are many lobbies trying to stop the joy of fireworks but it looks as though Covid has finally done it. Look forward to a quiet Nov 5th chums!

elginCity

Sorry to hear that, not least for those in the pyro business.

DB9

I think SAD is quite common, Take yesterday (Tuesday) the weather was awful, Peeing down with rain and thick cloud, I had to have the lights on indoors for virtually the whole day, Its so depressing when that happens and since this modern house has i think too small a windows during the winter, Unless its a cold bright day the lights indoors have to stay on. Other than that life and doing stuff just seems so much harder and this year has been awful but it will really hit us in the winter, There will be no Halloween (I'm with Moxey and others on the Americanism about it now) No bonfires i guess, No Remeberance parades, No Xmas light switch ons and I cant think that NYE will be going on as usual. January & Febuary are always Yuk, So all in all i think those that are affected by SAD, This year will be tough.

STURTZ

Sorry to hear that, not least for those in the pyro business.
Tell me about it.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Call me a freak however I quite like this time of year, I love the variety the different seasons bring.

Reactions: GJW