• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD)

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone else get this kicking in at this time of the year ?

I always thought it was a load of nonsense when I was younger,but since turning 40 nearly a couple of decades ago it seems to effect me a little more with each passing year.
Its going to be worse this year with all of the restrictions on my usual activities.

Here’s hoping for clear sunny days in the winter.

manc grecian

Me. I hate it. The whole lack of daylight thing isdepressing and seems to get worse every year. Always feel tired and rundown and now not sleeping well either. The current restrictions obviously aren't helping. Going to SJP and meeting with friends is one of the few things that get me through the winter.

Thoughts often head towards living somewhere with a warmer climate.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolutely. I am normally a sceptic of these sort of 'disorders' and my default temptation is usually just to tell people somewhat impertinently to 'man up'

But with you both 100%. I always hated winter, even as a kid, but it is much worse now I am the wrong side of 40.

It's the dark, not the cold. And the lack of sunshine. 'Fall back' day is for me the most depressing day of the year by a distance. Forget the 3rd Monday in January or whatever the traditional day is, this Sunday afternoon when it is dark by 5 (earlier if it is raining - as is forecast) is utter misery. Add on to the fact that it is always Halloween at the same time, the appeal of which never ceases to amaze me and it is rubbish.

We haven't even got Xmas to look forward to this year, or as you say - football. And unless I get picked for England's cricket team, precious little chance of getting some winter sun anywhere.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
It's thought that a lack of Vitamin D can contribute to this.

You can only really get Vit D from the sun, as only trace amounts are found in food; most people in northern Europe are deficient even during the summer months.

It's by no means conclusive, but for a couple of quid for a month or two's worth of supplements from Holland & Barrett it's worth a go. It's said though that even with supplementation it can take a month or two for levels to be where they should be.

elginCity

Agree with ITBB- nothing to lose by boosting Vit D levels, as I do.

For years I've been lucky enough to be able to escape to Spain for a month or so in the winter, not possible this year. It'll be a testing time for sure.

Minded of that interview with Pep Guardiola when asked how he coped with the Manchester weather. "If it's raining I wear a raincoat, if it's cold I wear a scarf, but there's nothing I can do about the lack of light, which is what I miss most about life in Spain". Him and me both.

Oldsmobile-88

I will certainly try the vitamin D supplement.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I will certainly try the vitamin D supplement.
I've been on the Vitamin D to ward off the Corona. (washed down with bleach 😁)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do. Although working from home currently has made things better. I found it really soul destroying to travel to work in the dark, watch the brief hours of sunlight through the office window, then travel home in darkness.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Read somewhere that the D3 version is best. Agree with RP about the utter depression as the clocks go back. Still, there's always the joy when they go on in March! RP is right about Halloween as well.

Sergeant

It's middle of Jan to the end of March that gets me. I've had my fill of the cold weather by then and warm weather feels like an age away.

It's important at the mo to try and get out in the daytime if you can, bit of fresh air and seeing something different other than the same four walls. And keep talking my Grecian brother/sisterhood, you know you should.