• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Season so far and Wednesday game (another Sam Stubbs thread)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you sure about that? I thought he'd had the op and been out of the game for quite a few months when we signed him but that he was not far (3 weeks) from fitness.
He played for Fleetwood on December 8 and signed for us little more than a month later.
At the time, as I recall, Matt Taylor seemed more concerned by his bout of COVID than his knee injury.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
The point is: it happens. Yes we can all think of a million reasons why a contract is left to see out its course, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t explore every opportunity to find an amicable termination of that contract.

I’d love to see Stubbs back on the pitch, but same as I’d love a Ferrari it ain’t happening any time soon so I might suggest that the sooner he’s moved on the better.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
The point is: it happens. Yes we can all think of a million reasons why a contract is left to see out its course, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t explore every opportunity to find an amicable termination of that contract.

I’d love to see Stubbs back on the pitch, but same as I’d love a Ferrari it ain’t happening any time soon so I might suggest that the sooner he’s moved on the better.
Give him a Ferrari and see how he goes !

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
He played for Fleetwood on December 8 and signed for us little more than a month later.
At the time, as I recall, Matt Taylor seemed more concerned by his bout of COVID than his knee injury.
Yep this is how I recall it too. His signing was delayed due to COVID but was announced on Jan 21st with Taylor basically saying he would be back playing within a month.

I don’t think anyone saw the extent of this injury and ultimately Stubbs did play a big part in us getting promoted last season so in that regard it has paid off.

Unfortunately with our small squad and Stubbs being most likely one of our highest earners I doubt that he will be offered a new contract for next year. This is a shame as we have all seen when fit he is an excellent player, but the reality is that we just can’t carry a player in our squad that we can’t get on the pitch consistently.

If he were able to play the last 15-20 games this season without any issues this may change things, but as things stand I just can’t see that happening, which is a great shame for everyone, especially Sam who seems a top bloke!

fred binneys head

I'm not sure we did knowingly take a gamble. Or, at least, if we did, we were completely oblivious to the magnitude of that gamble.

When Stubbs signed we were told he'd just had a routine operation and would be back in a week or two; there was never any suggestion that it was a David Noble scenario – ie we were signing someone who was regarded as too good for our level but was injured and had no realistic prospect of featuring in the short to medium term.

Maybe, on this occasion, City [and Sam] have just been extremely unlucky.
I agree and, as with most things in life, you win some, you lose some. We sold Joel for a tidy sum and then he hardly played for Peterborough (not exactly the same I know).

tonykellowfan

Even if he plays 25 games the rest of the season he should still be released.

We cannot afford passengers like that.

denzel

Even if he plays 25 games the rest of the season he should still be released.

We cannot afford passengers like that.
How rude. He played less than that last season and made a difference.

There is a person to think of here. Sam must be beside himself, that at such a young age he is unable to show everyone what he is capable of.

I hope he isn't reading this thread, but if he is, I wish him all the best and really do wish that he can get back to playing as soon as he can, or be a success in whatever he wants to do.

tonykellowfan

We know what he is capable of. Unfortunately he appears to have suffered a career ending injury.

With the small size of our squad we cannot take these kinds of risks.

For example I would much rather we had retained Ray and released Stubbs.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We know what he is capable of. Unfortunately he appears to have suffered a career ending injury.

With the small size of our squad we cannot take these kinds of risks.

For example I would much rather we had retained Ray and released Stubbs.
We still probably couldn't afford to release Stubbs and keep Ray as we still would've had to pay his contract up or make a mutual agreement which in fairness Stubbs isn't going to agree to take less to then retire

Coppers

I disagree. He plays that little we might as well just write him off and save the wages. It's a shame, but he's a waste of time - it's like saying you could be driving round in a Ferrari all day long, but so much depends on a lottery jackpot.
How can you write him off and save the wages, he is under contract until the summer.