• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Season so far and Wednesday game (another Sam Stubbs thread)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
So no-one in the history of football has ever had a contract cancelled by mutual consent?
I'd imagine you'd normally reach agreement to cancel a contract by mutual consent when a player was out of favour at their current club and have something else lined up. Can't imagine many people agree to the cancelation of their contract when they're injured and there must be some doubt if they will play again.

DawlishBouy

So no-one in the history of football has ever had a contract cancelled by mutual consent?
If City paid up his contract in full he would probably agree to terminate it. If he had a good job lined up elsewhere he might agree to a partial settlement. He isn't going to forfeit 7 months wages out of the kindness of his heart to help City sign somebody else.

tonykellowfan

We knew when we signed him there was a risk involved. Sadly it didn't work out.

Hopefully we have now stopped doing this kind of deal.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We knew when we signed him there was a risk involved. Sadly it didn't work out.

Hopefully we have now stopped doing this kind of deal.
It didn't work out us harsh.

He was a huge reason imho why we where so good in the 2nd half of last season and why we got promoted.

Just a real shame a player of such obvious quality and you've gotta feel for him. We as a club knowingly took the gamble

milts

Whilst I agree this is possible, why would Stubbs do that?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst I agree this is possible, why would Stubbs do that?
Why does any player?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why does any player?
Because they have an offer from elsewhere that won't leave them financially disadvantaged.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why does any player?
Often players agree to a mutual cancellation just before the close of a transfer window. That means they can then join another club either immediately or as a free agent after the window closes. As he is injured Stubbs would be doing neither of those things.

Ant - you've made a bad point and its about time you gave it up.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It didn't work out us harsh.

He was a huge reason imho why we where so good in the 2nd half of last season and why we got promoted.

Just a real shame a player of such obvious quality and you've gotta feel for him. We as a club knowingly took the gamble
I'm not sure we did knowingly take a gamble. Or, at least, if we did, we were completely oblivious to the magnitude of that gamble.

When Stubbs signed we were told he'd just had a routine operation and would be back in a week or two; there was never any suggestion that it was a David Noble scenario – ie we were signing someone who was regarded as too good for our level but was injured and had no realistic prospect of featuring in the short to medium term.

Maybe, on this occasion, City [and Sam] have just been extremely unlucky.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure we did knowingly take a gamble. Or, at least, if we did, we were completely oblivious to the magnitude of that gamble.

When Stubbs signed we were told he'd just had a routine operation and would be back in a week or two; there was never any suggestion that it was a David Noble scenario – ie we were signing someone who was regarded as too good for our level but was injured and had no realistic prospect of featuring in the short to medium term.

Maybe, on this occasion, City [and Sam] have just been extremely unlucky.
Are you sure about that? I thought he'd had the op and been out of the game for quite a few months when we signed him but that he was not far (3 weeks) from fitness.