• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Season so far and Wednesday game (another Sam Stubbs thread)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
So much depends on Stubbs. If he returns and plays a dozen games then it is possible to equal or beat our highest ever final league position but if he can't get over his problem we'll carry on the same way we have up till now. Of course we could recruit well in January.

We have dropped points where we really shouldn't have and beaten teams no one thought we would however to be in the top half of L1 at this stage is pretty good going in my opinion.

As far as Saturday goes if we can cut out the defensive howlers and not lose concentration we could win it but if SW play like Ipswich did we're in for another tough afternoon.

tonykellowfan

In this division of 24 teams, I think we are most likely to finish in the middle 8 teams.

We are good going forward and we are prone to mistakes at the back. As others have said ipswich outclassed us, but no one else has.

SaintJames

Genuine question (and one I'm not sure of the answer to myself) - given the gulf in the quality of the opposition was there actually that much difference in the performances against Ipswich and Morecambe. Personally I was more disappointed not to beat the bottom team than I was by a relatively narrow loss to probably the best team in the division.
It was the manner of those results though tht were a mile apart. Against Ipswich we were meek, seemingly in awe of the opposition and miles off the pace of the game. Against Morecambe we were aggressive, on the front foot and in control those two games were chalk and cheese

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Caldwell has taken over a team that was doing o.k. We'd got some good results without actually playing any of the top teams. I think that with Matt Taylor in charge and no additions we would have finished around mid table. Caldwell has come in and looked at what he's got to work with and shown he is prepared to shuffle the pack in order to get the team playing as he wants, this is what should be expected of a new manager. I have no doubt that come the transfer window he will try and fill the gaps where he thinks we may be lacking such as at left back (!).

It could all go horribly wrong for Caldwell and we end up around the bottom, on the other hand he could find a team and formation that pushes us on towards those play off places. I think we should forget all about Matt Taylor, give Caldwell his own space to work in and hope that he can find further success for a club that is probably exceeding what should be expected of it at the moment.

Boyo

Genuine question (and one I'm not sure of the answer to myself) - given the gulf in the quality of the opposition was there actually that much difference in the performances against Ipswich and Morecambe. Personally I was more disappointed not to beat the bottom team than I was by a relatively narrow loss to probably the best team in the division.
For me the gap in quality between the top of L1 and the bottom of L1 is far greater than the top/bottom of L2. We could therefore have two games where we have the same 11, same formation and same tactics, yet the performance will appear massively different because of the quality of the opposition. Excellent opposition can make average teams look poor, whilst poor opposition can make average teams look excellent.

Antony Moxey

So much depends on Stubbs.
I disagree. He plays that little we might as well just write him off and save the wages. It's a shame, but he's a waste of time - it's like saying you could be driving round in a Ferrari all day long, but so much depends on a lottery jackpot.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree. He plays that little we might as well just write him off and save the wages. It's a shame, but he's a waste of time - it's like saying you could be driving round in a Ferrari all day long, but so much depends on a lottery jackpot.
Regretably tis true

DawlishBouy

From January 1st last year to the end of the season he played 25 games having played just 2 games up to that point. Hopefully he can do the same again. But it doesn’t matter wether he plays 25, a dozen or none we’re still paying his wages until June 30th next year. Unless you mean writing him off for next season we ain’t saving any wages.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't think there's any doubting that if he has a run of games we will end the season with more points than if he doesn't, some smart January transfer dealing notwithstanding. Sadly I think he's kicked his last ball for us though.

Antony Moxey

From January 1st last year to the end of the season he played 25 games having played just 2 games up to that point. Hopefully he can do the same again. But it doesn’t matter wether he plays 25, a dozen or none we’re still paying his wages until June 30th next year. Unless you mean writing him off for next season we ain’t saving any wages.
So no-one in the history of football has ever had a contract cancelled by mutual consent?