• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Season so far and Wednesday game (another Sam Stubbs thread)

Afternoon folks,

not posted much since Cameron Dawson returned to the mother ship but I’ve been keeping an eye on your results and always wish the best for you…..I really enjoyed the games of yours that I did see last year and I’m looking forward to Saturday.

just though I’d ask how you feel the season is panning out for you so far…..from where I’m sat you seem to be doing better than expected and not inconceivable that you might make the play offs?

and what’s your expectations for Saturday…..from my very cynical / glass half full perspective (that happens when you’ve been watching Wednesday or 50+ years) I’ll tell you that our results are far better than our performances…..Moore is very negative and we’ve no idea on any given Saturday what the team will be and who will play where (last weeks game v Derby he decided to have a right back at CB and a CB at right back!)

It wouldn’t be a massive surprise if you won 3-0….by the same toKen we have got some very good players and a 3-0 win for us wouldn’t be out of the question either.

look forward to hearing what you all think?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
From my perspective the season is going pretty much as predicted, mid table. I feel like fans are quite split as to whether we should be looking to get into the play offs or just purely try to stay up - realistically I would expect us to finish around where we are now. We are punching above our weight financially so I am one of those who just wants to see us stay up and hopefully stabilise as a League 1 club.

Losing Taylor was obviously a big blow and injury problems have lead to some choppy waters and a bit of uncertainty but Caldwell would have to do a fairly terrible job to relegate us from here. He has come to the club at the start of a very tough run of fixtures and I think he has done a decent enough job up to now, it's obviously still very early.

I was really optimistic going into the game against Ipswich a few weeks ago and for me it was a massive reality check, they were a million miles better than us and played us off the park. I think in fixtures like these, for us to get a win we need to be right at it for the 90 mins and hope you are having a bit of an off day - if you play as well as you can you'll get a result.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
From my perspective the season is going pretty much as predicted, mid table. I feel like fans are quite split as to whether we should be looking to get into the play offs or just purely try to stay up - realistically I would expect us to finish around where we are now. We are punching above our weight financially so I am one of those who just wants to see us stay up and hopefully stabilise as a League 1 club.

Losing Taylor was obviously a big blow and injury problems have lead to some choppy waters and a bit of uncertainty but Caldwell would have to do a fairly terrible job to relegate us from here. He has come to the club at the start of a very tough run of fixtures and I think he has done a decent enough job up to now, it's obviously still very early.

I was really optimistic going into the game against Ipswich a few weeks ago and for me it was a massive reality check, they were a million miles better than us and played us off the park. I think in fixtures like these, for us to get a win we need to be right at it for the 90 mins and hope you are having a bit of an off day - if you play as well as you can you'll get a result.
What he said.

Average Joe

I don't think it would benefit us much playing in the championship We wouldn't be gaining much at all on gate receipts, we'd see us lose most games and we can not afford to improve our stadium. The championship can cripple teams, look our our Somerset rivals not far down the road for instance. We can not afford championship wages, we can not afford championship players and championship level free transfer players could get better money dropping into some of the league one clubs.

I think we should establish ourselves in league one, keep our outgoings tight and invest on the stadium and then maybe in five to ten years push for the next level.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The championship can cripple teams, look our our Somerset rivals not far down the road for instance. We can not afford championship wages, we can not afford championship players and championship level free transfer players could get better money dropping into some of the league one clubs.
Spot on Joe....and you could also add our Cornish enemy down the road in the opposite direction!

Their Staplegun/Sir Woy/Kagami-San dreams of glory came bleddy close to ruining them too (sigh...so near, yet ultimately, not quite)

SaintJames

As others said getting ourselves established in league one is our only goal. Not sure why the other poster mentioned about the Championship that isnt on the horizon realistically and frankly almost silly to even bring it up when we have only just got back into this league after ten years! We havent played Wednesday often for the obvious reason but our record is actually very good and even in the modern era (since 2010) we have won 3 and lost 2 so we have nothing to fear. If City can bulld on the Morecambe performance and play like we did v Peterborough we stand a good chance of getting a result. If we play like we did v Ipswich you will walk it

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As others said getting ourselves established in league one is our only goal. Not sure why the other poster mentioned about the Championship that isnt on the horizon realistically and frankly almost silly to even bring it up when we have only just got back into this league after ten years! We havent played Wednesday often for the obvious reason but our record is actually very good and even in the modern era (since 2010) we have won 3 and lost 2 so we have nothing to fear. If City can bulld on the Morecambe performance and play like we did v Peterborough we stand a good chance of getting a result. If we play like we did v Ipswich you will walk it
Genuine question (and one I'm not sure of the answer to myself) - given the gulf in the quality of the opposition was there actually that much difference in the performances against Ipswich and Morecambe. Personally I was more disappointed not to beat the bottom team than I was by a relatively narrow loss to probably the best team in the division.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Afternoon folks,

not posted much since Cameron Dawson returned to the mother ship but I’ve been keeping an eye on your results and always wish the best for you…..I really enjoyed the games of yours that I did see last year and I’m looking forward to Saturday.

just though I’d ask how you feel the season is panning out for you so far…..from where I’m sat you seem to be doing better than expected and not inconceivable that you might make the play offs?

and what’s your expectations for Saturday…..from my very cynical / glass half full perspective (that happens when you’ve been watching Wednesday or 50+ years) I’ll tell you that our results are far better than our performances…..Moore is very negative and we’ve no idea on any given Saturday what the team will be and who will play where (last weeks game v Derby he decided to have a right back at CB and a CB at right back!)

It wouldn’t be a massive surprise if you won 3-0….by the same toKen we have got some very good players and a 3-0 win for us wouldn’t be out of the question either.

look forward to hearing what you all think?
From a City perspective I have very mixed feelings about Moore. On the one hand he has given us some of our best loan signings of recent years (Wilson, Edwards, O'Shea and Dawson) and also helped kick-start the career of Jordan Storey. On the other, it's hard to forgive his treatment of Cam.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
From a City perspective I have very mixed feelings about Moore. On the one hand he has given us some of our best loan signings of recent years (Wilson, Edwards, O'Shea and Dawson) and also helped kick-start the career of Jordan Storey. On the other, it's hard to forgive his treatment of Cam.
Nah, he gave him to us but doesn’t think he’s as good as Stockdale, that’s fair enough. I’ve got a huge amount of time for Darren Moore, he’s a top fella.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that it's unlikely but it's also not completely impossible that we could end up in the play-offs this season. The top 3 are looking strong but none of the other big teams in the top half of the table are looking consistent enough yet to be nailed on to finish in the top 6; therefore, it wouldn't be a massive surprise if there was an unexpected team in the play-offs which just possibly could be us. Realistically, however, I think at least a couple of the teams above us will spend big in January and finish the season strongly while I still think we are more likely to finish nearer the bottom than the top.