• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scunthorpe v City - Build Up & Discussion Thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster

Linky thing to previous games with this ref not working for me :(

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Linky thing to previous games with this ref not working for me :(
Sorry, have updated the article. Here's the missing link

Alistair20000

Sorry, have updated the article. Here's the missing link
Proving my point that "Hants will fix it" (y)

imheretonosey

Morning all, Scunthorpe fan here in peace

First of all impressive knowledge of us from the starter of this thread.

As you Eisa,Gilliead (doesn’t score enough I agree) and Van Veen are our big threats, we can often suffer if they are stifled. A little bit harsh on Hallam to say don’t worry about him, he’s a good little player who’s had two years of injury hell. I wouldn’t expect him to start though and Lanky Loft (believe he had a brief loan spell with you) will come back for him after returning from injury. You should also watch out for Mason O’Malley at LB, very promising player with a ridiculous cross on him.

Love the definition of us being a “rag tag mix” side. We can be horrible to play against due to our combative nature and general robustness.

Funny you say McArdle will know what our players are like, I’d like to say our players will know what McArdle is like and they’ll know he’s as slow as a tortoise.

McGahey does indeed look set to miss out with a tight thigh, though we will know more when Neil Cox speaks to the media this afternoon. Makeshift CB Clarke will most likely step in like he did Saturday at Salford (wouldn’t worry about Salford as a promotion rival they’re rubbish).

Up the Iron (right?)

Legohead

Banned
Cheers for that imheretonosey. Yes, i used to go in the Cluggy a lot as my sister lives just off the A18 near Thorne so just a short trip down there and over Gunness bridge and there is the ground. Always take in games when i'm visiting.

I don't know anything about Mason O'Malley so will have to watch out for him now you've pointed him out.

McArdle will be up against Van Veen who is hardly Usain Bolt and can more than match him for physicality. KVV however sometimes has a knack of fashioning his own chances out of nothing and doesn't necessarily need good service so this is a concern for us. Hartridge, despite his inexperience is more than capable of dealing with Loft / Hallam. I see McAtee is still with you. Not sure how though. Surely he'd be more at home at Brigg Town or somewhere. Headless chicken that kid.

Like i said, if you can get Eisa and Gillead running at our defence (especially McArdle ) then it's a concern but we have been defensively solid recently, largely due to our control of posession and high pressing, high tempo game and the defence not being put under as much pressure. If we are able to produce a similar display then i can't see the likes of Eisa and Gillead getting much time on the ball.

Any news on the redevelopment of GP? I know Swanny was thwarted by N Lincs council in building the new stadium after many years of wrangling and now has accepted defeat and planned to redevelop the ground and the area around the ground. TBH i thought he might be looking at wanting out as soon as the planning permission for the new ground was denied but he's still there.

I bet Mark the Donny Iron is also missing the footy and the chance to post some vlogs on youtube! Last time i saw him was when i decided to go away to Macc last season when the temperature was about 200 degrees centigrade and Scunny fans were collapsing on the terrace at Moss Rose with heat stroke!

The one thing i'm not missing though is that awful 'sunny scunny' song that the players trot out to on matchday at GP! It's cringeworthy! :LOL:;)

Anyway, may the best team on the night win!

malcolms

Morning all, Scunthorpe fan here in peace

First of all impressive knowledge of us from the starter of this thread.

As you Eisa,Gilliead (doesn’t score enough I agree) and Van Veen are our big threats, we can often suffer if they are stifled. A little bit harsh on Hallam to say don’t worry about him, he’s a good little player who’s had two years of injury hell. I wouldn’t expect him to start though and Lanky Loft (believe he had a brief loan spell with you) will come back for him after returning from injury. You should also watch out for Mason O’Malley at LB, very promising player with a ridiculous cross on him.

Love the definition of us being a “rag tag mix” side. We can be horrible to play against due to our combative nature and general robustness.

Funny you say McArdle will know what our players are like, I’d like to say our players will know what McArdle is like and they’ll know he’s as slow as a tortoise.

McGahey does indeed look set to miss out with a tight thigh, though we will know more when Neil Cox speaks to the media this afternoon. Makeshift CB Clarke will most likely step in like he did Saturday at Salford (wouldn’t worry about Salford as a promotion rival they’re rubbish).

Up the Iron (right?)
All our Centre Backs are as slow as things with shells on their backs..

imheretonosey

Cheers for that imheretonosey. Yes, i used to go in the Cluggy a lot as my sister lives just off the A18 near Thorne so just a short trip down there and over Gunness bridge and there is the ground. Always take in games when i'm visiting.

I don't know anything about Mason O'Malley so will have to watch out for him now you've pointed him out.

McArdle will be up against Van Veen who is hardly Usain Bolt and can more than match him for physicality. KVV however sometimes has a knack of fashioning his own chances out of nothing and doesn't necessarily need good service so this is a concern for us. Hartridge, despite his inexperience is more than capable of dealing with Loft / Hallam. I see McAtee is still with you. Not sure how though. Surely he'd be more at home at Brigg Town or somewhere. Headless chicken that kid.

Like i said, if you can get Eisa and Gillead running at our defence (especially McArdle ) then it's a concern but we have been defensively solid recently, largely due to our control of posession and high pressing, high tempo game and the defence not being put under as much pressure. If we are able to produce a similar display then i can't see the likes of Eisa and Gillead getting much time on the ball.

Any news on the redevelopment of GP? I know Swanny was thwarted by N Lincs council in building the new stadium after many years of wrangling and now has accepted defeat and planned to redevelop the ground and the area around the ground. TBH i thought he might be looking at wanting out as soon as the planning permission for the new ground was denied but he's still there.

I bet Mark the Donny Iron is also missing the footy and the chance to post some vlogs on youtube! Last time i saw him was when i decided to go away to Macc last season when the temperature was about 200 degrees centigrade and Scunny fans were collapsing on the terrace at Moss Rose with heat stroke!

The one thing i'm not missing though is that awful 'sunny scunny' song that the players trot out to on matchday at GP! It's cringeworthy! :LOL:;)

Anyway, may the best team on the night win!
Yep meant Eisa and Gilliead to expose McArdles pace, as you say Van Veen isn’t the quickest. It may be that Van Veen is on the bench anyway, he’s struggled the last few games since coming back from injury so a break maybe needed.

How has McArdle done for you? I think statistics showed he was one of the best CBs in the division last season.

Legohead

Banned
If KVV and Hallam are not starter though, other than Loft who will be the other striker? Hopefully McAtee!

McArdle is a solid pro at this level and has done amazingly in recent games, including scoring the winner against Satanage. He's always vulnerable to pace and nippy attackers as you will know but thus far he's not really had to face many of them recently.

imheretonosey

If KVV and Hallam are not starter though, other than Loft who will be the other striker? Hopefully McAtee!

McArdle is a solid pro at this level and has done amazingly in recent games, including scoring the winner against Satanage. He's always vulnerable to pace and nippy attackers as you will know but thus far he's not really had to face many of them recently.
Probably Eisa

Will be

Howard (GK)

Rowe
Clarke
Bedeau
O'Malley

Gilliead
Beestin
Karacan
Green (quickest player I've ever seen) or Hippolyte

Eisa
Loft

Grecian Max

Really not worried about Scunthorpe, expect a straight forward win. Luckily we're not a Tisdale side so won't crumble with sides who fancy it.