• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SCAM ALERT!

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is my line of work now. Not the scamming, lol, the other side of it.

It is rife and now usually a question of when you'll get successfully scammed, not if. A few tips:

1) Be vigilant, especially when being asked for details: Name, address, etc. Never ever give anybody your passwords, or things like bank/card details (unless you're buying something and 100% certain as to the validity of the person at the other end of the phone).
2) 2fa/MFA as many things as you can, especially common accounts like email (Hotmail, Gmail, etc), eBay, Amazon, Facebook, twitter, etc, etc.
3) Use different passwords for each and every account.
4) Use long (10+ chars) and complex passwords with a mix of upper/lower case, numbers/letters and special characters.
5) be wary of all emails asking you to click on links or open attachments. If in doubt, just don't.

Here to help.
I'd just like to add, if you use a desktop/laptop I can recommend password safe which will safely secure all passwords.

angelic upstart

Scams used to be my line of work (not scamming lol). Some things to bear in mind when buying online (which may seem obvious but people fall for it).
  • If you buy direct from an overseas supplier the product might not comply with safety or other laws.
  • Don't part with money for stuff (e.g. household goods or airline tickets) unless you are sure that the trader is legit - it is easy to set up an impressive website.
Action Fraud was the reporting avenue:

www.actionfraud.police.uk/
Use a credit card to buy online. In fact, use a credit card to buy everything and pay it off in full each month. Get one where you get some Cashback or airmiles and you might do alright out of it.

Oldsmobile-88

It’s a subject that burns my arse.

A elderly lady I run errands for has not got a PC but is susceptible to phone scams on her house phone. Numerous crap over the past couple of years. The most recent was a phone call about her internet connection(she hasn’t got one !)

Banksy

This is my line of work now. Not the scamming, lol, the other side of it.

It is rife and now usually a question of when you'll get successfully scammed, not if. A few tips:

1) Be vigilant, especially when being asked for details: Name, address, etc. Never ever give anybody your passwords, or things like bank/card details (unless you're buying something and 100% certain as to the validity of the person at the other end of the phone).
2) 2fa/MFA as many things as you can, especially common accounts like email (Hotmail, Gmail, etc), eBay, Amazon, Facebook, twitter, etc, etc.
3) Use different passwords for each and every account.
4) Use long (10+ chars) and complex passwords with a mix of upper/lower case, numbers/letters and special characters.
5) be wary of all emails asking you to click on links or open attachments. If in doubt, just don't.

Here to help.
God only knows how you’re expected to remember all the different passwords.Although that said my iPad will save them in the cloud. I feel so sorry for folk who don’t find computers friendly or who’ve got health issues.

Mr Jinx

I'd just like to add, if you use a desktop/laptop I can recommend password safe which will safely secure all passwords.
As long as it's not Lastpass. titter

Oldsmobile-88

A ‘babe’ has just contacted me via Twitter saying she likes my profile picture( it was taken 36 years ago 😁)
Should i reply ? She has some nice photos apparently 🤣
Makes a change from a African Prince who needs a few quid to unlock his Swiss Bank Account, who will then share the proceeds with me 😎

Spoonz Red E

A ‘babe’ has just contacted me via Twitter saying she likes my profile picture( it was taken 36 years ago 😁)
Should i reply ? She has some nice photos apparently 🤣
Makes a change from a African Prince who needs a few quid to unlock his Swiss Bank Account, who will then share the proceeds with me 😎
Offer this 'babe' your profile picture as a non fungible token for an outrageous amount.