• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sam Gallagher

4ORDY

Did we let this lad slip through the net, or was he ever on our books?. Local to our area how did we miss him. http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Pochettino-praises-Crediton-teenager-Sam/story-20519843-detail/story.html

Bittners a Legend

He was with Argyle for years...looks a really good prospect.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

4ORDY

8 miles away & we missed him, what a shame. Got to be asked, where are our scouts?! Argyle grab him from 50 odd miles. Anyhow the lad saw the light & left them, wonder if they got any compo for him?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
8 miles away & we missed him, what a shame. Got to be asked, where are our scouts?! Argyle grab him from 50 odd miles. Anyhow the lad saw the light & left them, wonder if they got any compo for him?
If, as BaL says, he was with the GAWS for years before heading for Southampton, could it have been that being as the GAWS at the time were presumably still a middling Championship club and we were presumably still a Conference club, the GAWS maybe got in first with the allure of being a much bigger club?

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I guess he came on their radar whilst they were still a Championship club, but yeah, so frustrating

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
They've got Ben Purrington too - another City lad.

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn't really matter now though, does it. He's never been a City player and probably never like to be. Move along please..............

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ah the murky world of kids football eh? Plymouth "stole" a pile of our kids a few years back, we did similar a year or two back. With some of the big clubs setting up shop in Devon recently it will become more difficult as time goes on. On the downside, the standard of football countrywide will suffer.

Sam Gallagher & Sean Goss were both in the same school year (and school football team,) at QES, Crediton & are good friends.
Gossy was signed for City aged 8 & Gallagher signed for Argyle aged 9 (I think !)
Gossy was signed from Crediton Youth (where he was allowed to play until he was 14,) & I don't think that Gallagher was ever allowed to play for anyone else (apart from school teams,) & City never had any chance of signing him as his Dad (a former pro,) took him directly to Argyle for trials . It was interesting to contrast the approach of the two clubs attitudes to the lads.
It would've wrecked their lives being that involved at such a young age & being deemed, not quite good enough. I am fairly sure that I have got my facts correct ! I hope that they both have long & great careers, they've sacrificed a lot & earned it.