• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Salford City v Exeter City discussion thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t mean to sound like a fun sponge. But we are in Manchester now and have been since last night and it hasn’t stopped raining.... I’ll be honest in saying that I’ll be surprised if the game is on. Typical as I’ve come from Scotland for this.
Weather forecast tomorrow is 40% chance of rain until 11 a m then cloudy with sunny intervals

IndoMike

Both the Nevilles, Beckham and Giggs.
Lego. Aren't they putting something back into (lower league) football? I guess it's more like a hobby than a big money-making enterprise. To be honest, I'd rather real football people invest than some shady businessman - and there have been many in recent years. If I'm not mistaken the Nevilles lived close to Salford's ground when they were kids : maybe there's an emotional attachment.

Legohead

Banned
Lego. Aren't they putting something back into (lower league) football? I guess it's more like a hobby than a big money-making enterprise. To be honest, I'd rather real football people invest than some shady businessman - and there have been many in recent years. If I'm not mistaken the Nevilles lived close to Salford's ground when they were kids : maybe there's an emotional attachment.
What happens if the consortium get fed up? What if they lose interest? They might not of course or if they do they will see Salford right probably but pesonally I wouldn't feel comfortable with having a set of owners whose primary interests lie outside of my football club. Lie you say, the ownership of Salford City is a hobby to that lot and not a 100% 24/7 commitment like I feel it should be for people who run football clubs.

The fact is that they have bought success and if they want to do that and it's legal then that's up to them but they are not setting a good example to other clubs of how to run themselves properly which is thoughtless in the extreme in this current climate of struggling, overspending clubs.

They aren't committing any crimes but their model is so far removed to the one i value that i cannot wish them any success at all.

Last edited:

IndoMike

What happens if the consortium get fed up? What if they lose interest? They might not of course or if they do they will see Salford right probably but pesonally I wouldn't feel comfortable with having a set of owners whose primary interests lie outside of my football club. Lie you say, the ownership of Salford City is a hobby to that lot and not a 100% 24/7 commitment like I feel it should be for people who run football clubs.

The fact is that they have bought success and if they want to do that and it's legal then that's up to them but they are not setting a good example to other clubs of how to run themselves properly which is thoughtless in the extreme in this current climate of struggling, overspending clubs.

They aren't committing any crimes but their model is so far removed to the one i value that i cannot wish them any success at all.
I don't really get your argument. They're football people, pretty rich, and are local to Salford. I don't think they'd do the dirty and I don't see the problem if they invest as a hobby, or maybe we could say passion. They're self-made blokes so good luck to them.

eurogrecian

I don’t mean to sound like a fun sponge. But we are in Manchester now and have been since last night and it hasn’t stopped raining.... I’ll be honest in saying that I’ll be surprised if the game is on. Typical as I’ve come from Scotland for this.
I do hope it’s on, I’m flying in from Geneva for the day for the game!

Dannyred

The Neville’s are lifelong Bury fans, I think their mum worked for bury fc until they folded.

grecIAN Harris

They're every fans dream as owners. They're local lads. They know football inside out. They're collectively loaded and they want to give something back to the community they grew up in. What's not to like?

Legohead

Banned
What's not to like is that it isn't a sustainable model and I believe the whole structure of the EFL needs changing so that we only have clubs who are self sufficient. Again, just my preference but a preference that influences my thinking.

IndoMike

The Neville’s are lifelong Bury fans, I think their mum worked for bury fc until they folded.
I think you're right. Can't be far from Bury to Salford though. Maybe I should have said fairly local lads

Dannyred

I think you're right. Can't be far from Bury to Salford though. Maybe I should have said fairly local lads
It’s about 12 miles but so many teams around that area.

Time to set off, hoping we get the 3pts today.