• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

sad day for the gulls and Devon football

col46upwood

Thanks Geoff

Lets hope our little sojourn into the lower reaches of hell is short one.I mean i wouldnt like to to do a 5 year stretch like some,hehB-)

Red Monster

Thanks Geoff

Lets hope our little sojourn into the lower reaches of hell is short one.I mean i wouldnt like to to do a 5 year stretch like some,hehB-)
But you wouldn't want to do it twice, that is careless !!! [G]

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a shame to see the Gulls drop out of the league. I'm hoping your return doesn't too take long.

All the Turk supporters who post on here are top blokes.

Chin up lads.

IJN

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd agree with that, apart from Granville. :D

DB9

Really sorry for the Gulls, At least they made a fight of it, All be it too late. The Conference is a graveyard for former league clubs and the financial implications for dropping out is getting bigger. They have a busy summer ahead of them and a lot of decisions to make. I do have Eastleigh v Torquay to look forward to next season as its only five minutes from my place but i don't envy them at all going down, Could be a long road back but hopefully not. Plus the fans that come onto Exeweb have been real good on here have taken this **** when we've screwed up on many occasions and we have deserved it too, But my heart goes out to them, Its not nice and it could of been us. No gloating from me

FAN-TATIC

I am not happy at all that they have gone down. What a shame Hargreaves wasn't appointed a month or two earlier, he might have saved them.

From a financial point of the view both them and us have lost an income source that we can I'll afford to lose.

But, there is always a but, rather them than us.

Benguin

Sorry to see them go.

As others have mentioned it is a valuable source of income we can Ill afford to lose.

On another level, sad to see fellow Devonians in such potential dire straits.

Football in the south west can rarely have been in such awful shape.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
But you wouldn't want to do it twice, that is careless !!! [G]
True, repeat offenders. Throw away the key(clap)

jmgull

What a shame Hargreaves wasn't appointed a month or two earlier, he might have saved them.
Nope....that's a complete myth.

When he took over from Knill we were just 1....yes 1 point from safety, it wasn't that long until that gap became an unassailable 10 points.

All that after openly criticizing Knill, from the safety of the Spotlight sofa....no doubt about it, he was after his job.

Knill did a poor job and his sacking was no surprise but was, by all accounts, seriously undermined by our very well paid and under performing "club legends".....who wanted him out in the hope of perhaps prolonging their cosy careers.

The Board....with the club legends in their ears fell for it......player/fan power won.

Rather than bringing in somebody experienced, they took a ridiculous gamble on a complete managerial rookie....but it was fine, he was chief club legend and of course the first thing he did was to restore the other "past their sell by date" club legends....all the mates were happy.

The budget was spunked on paying off Knill, rather than giving him the cash to improve the team.

Hargreaves wasted the little left on 3/4 players that were either injured or not fit for purpose.

The few wins have come far too late....the pressure was almost off by then.

What a complete ******** of a season and so needless to end in relegation.

Last edited:

geoffwp

A sad story Justin. Shows you what can happen when a board listen too much to the supporters regarding the manager!! Do you think Thea will continue to fund or is the plug about to be pulled?