• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Loft in on loan

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Stockley and Jay looked good together against Barnet, and certainly worth another look as a partnership. I think the major hang-up with Jay is that he's quite short, but as a Tom Nichols-style poacher, he's got to worth a run in the side. He had a few chances against Barnet, hit the target with most (if not all) of them, he just needs that first goal.
Just for the record, Jay is 5'8". Paul Scholes (as an example) was/is 5'6".

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just for the record, Jay is 5'8". Paul Scholes (as an example) was/is 5'6".
I'm 5'8". If he's the same height as me I'd be very surprised.

Banksy

On that reckoning then Jamie Cureton was short.It didn't handicap him though.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Incidentally I agree with Grecian in Bath re: Barnet, where I thought he was excellent and if only one of his chances went in it might have made a huge difference to his confidence going forward.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In your view maybe, but they would have monitored him thoroughly before offering him a contract, and Spurs is better than Hartlepool :)
I get what TPC is saying. There’s been loads of players who’ve come through the academy of big clubs and have then turned out to be utter plop but I also see what you’re saying in that Spurs must see something in him to give him a contract in the first place.

A lot will come down to his attitude and how much he copes with the physicality of L2. If he manages to tick both those boxes he could well be a very good signing. Hopefully he will get some chances and stick one away early on in his career with us.

Andy Holloway

Having watched Matt Jay a few times this season, mainly U23 i admit, but my opinion is that he must be a 'bl**dy nuisance' to play against. Last night he was everywhere at the right time, backing up and running hard at the Hull defence. He certainly had the better of their big left back.
Although it's handy to have size on your side, being shorter than your average forward these days could be a distinct advantage, he's so nippy and can turn on the proverbial 6d.

Mind you, when he leads the team out i always mistake him for one of the mascots!!

Last edited:

IndoMike

On that reckoning then Jamie Cureton was short.It didn't handicap him though.
Messi did Ok. Maradonna, too. Pele wasn't very tall. Banksy wasn't tall...Just saying..

IndoMike

Having watched Matt Jay a few times this season, mainly U23 i admit, but my opinion is that he must be a 'bl**dy nuisance' to play against. Last night he was everywhere at the right time, backing up and running hard at the Hull defence. He certainly had the better of their big left back.
Although it's handy to have size on your side, being shorter than your average forward these days could be a distinct advantage, he's so nippy and can turn on the proverbial 6d.

Mind you, when he leads the team out i always mistake him for one of the mascots!!
Well, there you are. Will you start a "Matt Jay In" Andy?

IndoMike

No need to guess what Loft's nickname is.

Early Bath

No need to guess what Loft's nickname is.
"shortarse" ? :)