• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Harley

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
With, seemingly, Grimes departure imminent I imagine a lot of pressure is on Harley to reproduce his genius of his previous spell with us. He'll become chief playmaker and corner taker, free kick etc taker.

He hasn't shown the old magic yet but we all know there's a very talented player that is not going to work too hard.

It can't have been easy sitting out your best footballing years and being derided when he played

I think he's a confidence player and hopefully Tisdale once again will show the stubborness and patience that he may require before reassuming the mantle. In the Carlisle match he received the ball in that favourite position, to the left of the goal on the edge of the box and he curled the ball past the far post. That's a sweet goal we've seen him score so many times in front of the big bank. Absolute belters!

Give him a bit of time and we'll see The Magician working his magic again I'm sure.

Last edited:

Well-known Exeweb poster
needs to be playing as high up the park as pos', i imagine when noble returns he'll drop deeper and take that role over, free and push ryan up and hopefully all will prosper.

A Slacker

He has already got himself into some great positions and with a bit of luck could have had several goals (some very near misses). We will need to be patient and supportive of him but he is a class player who can and will do great things now that he is back "home".

Saint James

He's not picked up a bad injury over the past three seasons and is still relatively young at 29/30? There is therefore no reason why he can't get back the form we know him for. He is though playing catch up on his fitness and I think we need to wait another couple of weeks before he regains his sharpness.

motorservices

It wont take long for him to get back to his old tricks, im sure we will see the old Ryan back long before the season end

grecIAN Harris

He's already starting to float like a butterfly and it won't belong before he starts stinging like a bee.

malcolms

Unless someone can get him to play with more pace and discourage him from interminably choosing to pass sideways then he will be a liability. This is why he hasn't made it anywhere else, opponents know he won't hurt them so they allow him to look pretty and fundamentally ineffective. The reason Grimes is a better player is down to his willingness to risk more.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's already starting to float like a butterfly and it won't belong before he starts stinging like a bee.
I hope so but I don't think he'd be in my starting 11 at the moment. I'd use him as an impact sub, as based on the last 3 games I don't think he contributes enough over 90 minutes and creates a gap between defence and attack. However we didn't have Noble for those games, and boy did it show, so maybe the two can combine to good effect.

But for now I'd go:

Pym or Harmon
Ribeiro Butterfield JMT Woodman
Sercombe Noble Oakley
Wheeler Nicholls
Nichols

subs. Pym/Hamon, Tillson, Bennett, Harley, Keohane, Cummins, Morrison

grecIAN Harris

Unless someone can get him to play with more pace and discourage him from interminably choosing to pass sideways then he will be a liability. This is why he hasn't made it anywhere else, opponents know he won't hurt them so they allow him to look pretty and fundamentally ineffective. The reason Grimes is a better player is down to his willingness to risk more.
It's about picking and choosing you're moments. He's playing his way back into the side at the moment. As for not hurting them, how many of the current squad would have made enough room for that effort in the second half against Cheltenham. I think just about everybody on The Bankthought it was in.

STURTZ

It's about picking and choosing you're moments. He's playing his way back into the side at the moment. As for not hurting them, how many of the current squad would have made enough room for that effort in the second half against Cheltenham. I think just about everybody on The Bankthought it was in.
Sorry, that was the chance I was thinking about, not Carlisle at all! My heads hurts.