• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Bowman..... (to Shrewsbury)

Grecianpasty

Without Bowman theres no way Jay scores 18 goals next season. On that basis, and the fact they scored 32 goals combined, he has to stay.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Without Bowman theres no way Jay scores 18 goals next season. On that basis, and the fact they scored 32 goals combined, he has to stay.
Don’t see how you can say this with total confidence. If Bowman leaves, we won’t know the impact on the team, or indeed Jay, until we see how his replacement(s) fair. Bowman is solid, but nowhere near irreplaceable.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Doyle 19 Main man

Bowman 14 Supporting role = Proper pairing

I guess you’d be happy with just Bowman.
Is this a whoosh or not? It’s been a while since I’ve seen one properly delivered, so I might be being a bit trigger happy.

Grecianpasty

Don’t see how you can say this with total confidence. If Bowman leaves, we won’t know the impact on the team, or indeed Jay, until we see how his replacement(s) fair. Bowman is solid, but nowhere near irreplaceable.
Nothing can be said with complete confidence in football, otherwise bookies wouldn't exist! In terms of Bowmans input with regards to Jay, they both suit each other very well. Succesful teams compete with a solid spine. We've already lost one integral part of that spine in Taylor. Getting rid of Bowman would be another big blow.

crocks

But is Bowman 100% committed to City?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing can be said with complete confidence in football, otherwise bookies wouldn't exist! In terms of Bowmans input with regards to Jay, they both suit each other very well. Succesful teams compete with a solid spine. We've already lost one integral part of that spine in Taylor. Getting rid of Bowman would be another big blow.
Your exact quote was “without Bowman there’s no way Jay scores 18 goals next season”. That sounds totally confident to me!!

Taylor was a good player, as to a degree is Bowman, but we have to progress and be better. The players are out there and our recruitment needs to be spot on. Not an easy task, but we can improve.

JCWhoosh

Being a striker is not just about goals. It's how the team perform as a unit. Bowman is not irreplaceable and i know he missed chances and I'm not suggesting he shouod start but to play every game as a loan striker in a team that had the best goal scored column for most of the season screams that we were doing something right. We should have strengthened in January but that is water under the bridge. Firmino of Liverpool played 36 games with only 9 goals, even with the amount of quality around him. He played 9 times in the CL without a goal. I know it is a difficult league and better quality opposition etc and I am not a Liverpool fan but I bet a lot of their fans would say he is big part of their structure and how they want to play and when the goals are flying in from different sources it goes unnoticed.
A 20+ striker in any team is not very common so racking my brains to see who we might attract that will guarantee that. Something/ someone may have to give to get that player. Will it play a negative part in other areas of our team?

IndoMike

I'm afraid it's not a fact, it's your opinion.

Bowman is far more than just about the goals he scored. If you can't see his value to the team then really there isn't much point debating it any further.
Yes, but It:s not a fact : it's just your opinion.

IndoMike

Who gives a toss how many goals he assists? He's in the side to score goals. Nobody will remember whether he set up ten or one hundred but everybody will remember how many he scored.
The Proper Chap has already pointed out that Bowman's goals came in a short spell during winter time. If he didn't score in over 30 other games and hardly ever assisted it's no surprise we didn't get promoted.
He missed a lot of easy chances which cost us points
If you think "assists" are not important then you're living in the past.
We need someone better to get us promoted : to get the goals that will make the difference. I will bet you any money you want that if Bowman plays more than 35 games for us next season we will not get promoted via the autos.
Nobody's blaming Bowman, but some of us want the team improved and to get into Div 1. Bowman is one of the reasons but not the only reason why we couldn't.

IndoMike

Pretty obvious really, think Emile Heskey
Michael Owen used to say that Heskey was his ideal partner