• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rugby World Cup 2019

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm starting to fear that Wales or S.Africa will ruin the final by kicking long all the time. It's the tactic to use when you are the lesser team.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm starting to fear that Wales or S.Africa will ruin the final by kicking long all the time. It's the tactic to use when you are the lesser team.
But who would you like to win? England vs South Africa would have the northern hemisphere countries rooting for us whereas England vs Wales might be just a little different.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
South Africa it is, then. Am I sorry Wales lost? Nope. Not a single tear will I pause to brush away. No sympathy to waste on anybody who loves to see England lose.

IndoMike

But who would you like to win? England vs South Africa would have the northern hemisphere countries rooting for us whereas England vs Wales might be just a little different.
I have mixed feelings :
It's the WC, not the 6 Nations, so I feel it somehow has more value for us to have beaten Australia, NZ and S Africa (and Argentina).
But, I'm a little bit concerned that S Africa will try some dirty tricks or just.kick all the time. They're spoilers.
About Wales, if they had gotten into the Final and played any team except a UK team I would have no objection if they won
We've had this discussion before so my mind hasn't changed in the last week.
Our passport is a British passport so I feel we should support a British team.
But England v Wales? England, of course.
The British teams desire to beat us is natural due to the David v Goliath syndrome, but we should be pleased that they value a win against us so highly..😁

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
But who would you like to win? England vs South Africa would have the northern hemisphere countries rooting for us
To a certain extent, perhaps. I seem to recall in 1991, having lost to us in the semi-final, Scottish players turning up for the final in Australian scarves!

IndoMike

I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to see the England v Scotland match at Wembley in 1967 (?) when they best us 2-3.
I was just a kid but was in a pub with me dad along with a mass of Scotland supporters. They knew we supported England but they were great with me and gave me a Scottish scarf, rosettes et al. Couldn't have been nicer.
I just take it all as a bit of banter but never proactively want a UK team to lose against a foreign team

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to see the England v Scotland match at Wembley in 1967 (?) when they best us 2-3.
I was just a kid but was in a pub with me dad along with a mass of Scotland supporters. They knew we supported England but they were great with me and gave me a Scottish scarf, rosettes et al. Couldn't have been nicer.
Scottish fans celebrating a Scottish victory tend to be benevolent. However, sometimes anti-English resentment is appalling...

IndoMike

Scottish fans celebrating a Scottish victory tend to be benevolent. However, sometimes anti-English resentment is appalling...

It was in the pub before the game

Banksy

But both were doing it so bodes well for us I think , we will be too strong.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dare I suggest that, far from supporting England, a more likely scenario is one which sees sporting goods retailers running short of South Africa shirts in Wales and Scotland.

I also have little sympathy for the New Zealand fan who had an All Blacks RWC winners 2019 tattoo.