• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rory McArdle joins. Now signs for Harrogate

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure why there is concern for McArdle's age. So long as he's fit 33 is no problem at all and should have a good few years left in him yet. There have been premier league centre halves older than 33 and still perform at the highest level. I'd sooner have a 33 year old fit centre half than a 23 year old fit centre half. Experience counts for a lot in that position.
Exactly. Rob Edwards being the prime example....If Rory can be anywhere near as influential for us, then he will be a great signing.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bleddy Tisdale only signing his old mates.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh dear.....
Think he missed the winky face - might claim a whoosh

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
You fell into an irony trap or simply got the wrong end of the stick. Might need referring for a whoosh verdict if HH was fishing for one 🤔.
I am claiming one (y)

tonykellowfan

To me the odd thing is that we could not have kept Aaron Martin. His level in most games is very good although he does have the occasional bad game and he is only 30.

Legohead

Banned
Just caught up with this thread and wanted to post my thoughts as i spent some time watching Scunny last season and McArdle too. Saw about 7/8 scunny home games as my sister lives about 10 miles away now and usually catch a game when visiting if i can.

IMO from what i saw, he's a serious danger at set pieces. Getting him in the box for corners is a priority. He scored a couple in games i watched for Scunny. Have we been doing that?

He is also extremely slow and will get demolished against anyone with pace or quick thinking skill. He's a vastly experienced defender who has some attributes of course, but i was disappointed overall to have signed him as we could be and should be getting better players than McArdle. With all due respect to him.

He didn't come across as a leader particularly.

What are your views on McArdle from what you've seen?

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just caught up with this thread and wanted to post my thoughts as i spent some time watching Scunny last season and McArdle too. Saw about 7/8 scunny home games as my sister lives about 10 miles away now and usually catch a game when visiting if i can.

IMO from what i saw, he's a serious danger at set pieces. Getting him in the box for corners is a priority. He scored a couple in games i watched for Scunny. Have we been doing that?

He is also extremely slow and will get demolished against anyone with pace or quick thinking skill. He's a vastly experienced defender who has some attributes of course, but i was disappointed overall to have signed him as we could be and should be getting better players than McArdle. With all due respect to him.

My views pretty much concur with yours. Except that I'm yet to see any evidence McArdle is a danger at set-pieces – aside, that is, from when we're defending them!

My views pretty much concur with yours. Except that I'm yet to see any evidence McArdle is a danger at set-pieces – aside, that is, from when we're defending them!
Not sure anyone is a danger from our set pieces.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster

I reckon you have caught the majority sentiment. McArdle's best attribute is the threat he poses from corners but defensively it says it all when Sweeney - who MT spent the summer trying to get rid of- is now first choice RCB ahead of summer signing 33 year old McArdle

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's certainly had a shaky start to his ECFC career.