• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rory McArdle joins. Now signs for Harrogate

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sounds a very confident lad going by the interview also good in the opposition box.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's the departure of Warren covered,shouldn't we have replaced Aaron Martin first?

Grecianpasty

That's the departure of Warren covered,shouldn't we have replaced Aaron Martin first?
Hartridge will be better than A Martin in time.

IndoMike

Would have preferred someone a bit younger, but you can't have everything. He's got a lot of experience and Matt knows him well, which is a plus. We needed a right-sided CB so now we've got one.
For me Sweeney can now be cover for RB and RCB - not bad cover and should still be involved enough to keep him.happy.

andrew p long

Would have preferred someone a bit younger, but you can't have everything. He's got a lot of experience and Matt knows him well, which is a plus. We needed a right-sided CB so now we've got one.
For me Sweeney can now be cover for RB and RCB - not bad cover and should still be involved enough to keep him.happy.
Yes, first choice cover for two positions in a season with lots of ‘three games a week’ seems like quite a big and important job. So I am struggling to see why MT appears to want to drive Sweeney out of the club.

ryancooper327

I guess my question would be if A Martin resigned, who would start out of the two?

fred binneys head

Yes, first choice cover for two positions in a season with lots of ‘three games a week’ seems like quite a big and important job. So I am struggling to see why MT appears to want to drive Sweeney out of the club.
Sweeney dropped in form significantly last season, culminating in a horrendous performance at Wembley. I can see why Matt thinks his time is up. He’s been a great servant to the club but unless he gets back to his previous form I can’t see him playing many games for us. We also don’t know why he had a drop in form, could be a physical thing that Matt thinks he won’t recover from. We normally don’t find these things out until after they’ve left us.

IndoMike

I'm not a big fan of Sweeney but as I say he'd be decent cover for the two new signings. Perhaps Matt thinks Dean can fulfil that role.
Is there a rumour that MT wants to 'drive him out of the club"? I haven't heard that.

ryancooper327

Is McArdle a Warren-esque back up and we aim to resign/get another CB (now there’s rumours of Chrisene/Watkins) or is he a starter?

manc grecian

I'm not a big fan of Sweeney but as I say he'd be decent cover for the two new signings. Perhaps Matt thinks Dean can fulfil that role.
Is there a rumour that MT wants to 'drive him out of the club"? I haven't heard that.
Perhaps he's sick of him booting the ball out of play or getting out jumped at the back post.