• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Rory McArdle joins. Now signs for Harrogate

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yet MT released an experienced local legend in dean moxey who was apparently past it at 33 ?
Past it at left back, probably not at centre back but either way it was time for Dean Moxey to leave. His discipline was poor and the sending off in the final was th final straw

StudentGrecian

I'm not sure why there is concern for McArdle's age. So long as he's fit 33 is no problem at all and should have a good few years left in him yet. There have been premier league centre halves older than 33 and still perform at the highest level. I'd sooner have a 33 year old fit centre half than a 23 year old fit centre half. Experience counts for a lot in that position.
My concern is that MT openly said on signing him that "We have got to manage him in terms of the amount of games he is going to play, but also his training load. We need him available for most of the season.”

His stats suggest he will be fine with a long season, but with the amount of time between games this year is dramatically reduced this year.
Oakley was a different case in terms of age, but I remember the stick he got for having his own training regime.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh dear.....
Oh dear what ?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh dear what ?
You fell into an irony trap or simply got the wrong end of the stick. Might need referring for a whoosh verdict if HH was fishing for one 🤔.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Past it at left back, probably not at centre back but either way it was time for Dean Moxey to leave. His discipline was poor and the sending off in the final was th final straw
Keep telling yourself this, but it simply isn't borne out by the facts. Prior to Wembley Deano had two yellow cards to his name last season.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Keep telling yourself this, but it simply isn't borne out by the facts. Prior to Wembley Deano had two yellow cards to his name last season.
But there were 2 reds and 9 yellows the season before.

Dannyred

His sending off was down to pure frustration on how bad his hometown club was playing, I think he was worth another 12 month contract as he brought so much more to the club than just a player on the pitch.

Red Devon

His sending off was down to pure frustration on how bad his hometown club was playing, I think he was worth another 12 month contract as he brought so much more to the club than just a player on the pitch.
Excluding Wembley I’d have given him 7/10 for last season, yes there were a few below par performances but overall he did fairly well enough to earn another 12 months in normal times.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair enough, I still think it was time for him to depart. He no longer had the legs for left back, which meant he was cover for centre half, of which I quite liked him playing there but he was a higher earner and getting worse year on year, and despite only picking up 2 yellows last season his disciplinary record since returning to us was poor overall.

andrew p long

Seems like Rory McArdle is a natural leader.

on fitness and availability his career record is fantastic. By the age of 32 ( the age he was when the pandemic struck) he had started more than 550 games.