• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Theo Foley

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
An Exeter City defender in the late 1950s, the Irishman made 155 appearances for the Grecians before moving to Northampton Town for £1000.

Hopefully there will be a tribute to him on Monday.

RIP Theo.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
An Exeter City defender in the late 1950s, the Irishman made 155 appearances for the Grecians before moving to Northampton Town for £1000.

Hopefully there will be a tribute to him on Monday.

RIP Theo.

A proper chap, I remember him being welcoming to us kids collecting autographs when at Charlton mid-late 60s.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Many’s the time I watched Theo defend.R.I.P

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Obit from Northampton

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Exeter City's obituary

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad news. My grandfather and I spoke to him in Cowick Street once. During our chat, Grandad invited me to say who was City's best full-back, and I'm glad to be able to report that I gave the right answer without prompting!

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
lovely unassuming guy so influentiaL as george grahams assistant at Arsenal between 1986-90. Capped nine times for the Republic - meet him just once - at Wembley v Morecambe.
His autobiography "Give Us The Ball - Theo" is a great read,

Bed of heaven to you Theo.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Good to see a minute's silence in his memory at Wembley.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad news. My grandfather and I spoke to him in Cowick Street once. During our chat, Grandad invited me to say who was City's best full-back, and I'm glad to be able to report that I gave the right answer without prompting!
I recall him playing snooker in the YMCA opposite ye olde Pack Horse Inn, St David's Hill. City's best full-back? He was certainly good but Cec Smythe was always my favourite of all time.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
City's best full-back? He was certainly good but Cec Smythe was always my favourite of all time.
I think you may have misunderstood me here, Stuffers - that meeting took place c 1959. I'm older than I look. We told Theo that he was City's best current full-back. A fairly easy call for my grandfather, as I recall, because he wasn't a big fan of Les McDonald!