• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Mike Balson

sidney

Mike Balson was one of my favourite players. An uncompromising, determined and not unskilful centre back. His speciality in an attacking sense was the flick-on at corners, at which he was very effective and led to a number of goals. A very popular and admirable performer.

I was at the Wednesday match in 1968, and it was a great night. Wednesday were fourth in Division 1 ( the top flight ) at the time and were full strength. We beat them fair and square.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
A member of the team when I first saw City play....Sad news. He died "after a long battle with dementia" which seems to be a theme for a number of players from the 60's and 70's...

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Incidentally Balson is listed as a number three in that programme.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
His speciality in an attacking sense was the flick-on at corners, at which he was very effective and led to a number of goals
I remember this very well. A back-flicked near post header, directing the ball across the goalmouth for the likes of Fred Binney to score. RIP.

Last edited:

budegrecian

A member of the team when I first saw City play....Sad news. He died "after a long battle with dementia" which seems to be a theme for a number of players from the 60's and 70's...
Likewise, a member of the City team I first started watching.
A long battle with dementia suggests he'd been suffering with this since his mid 60's, which is tragic, but as you say; a not uncommon theme for players of that era. Shame on the PFA for their reluctance to fund the research properly.
A long term favourite player of my youth, RIP Mike.

dontpassback

RIP Mike Balson,no nonsense centre back who as well as getting stuck in,could play a bit,very sad news .

Kingsman

Mike Balson was one of my favourite players. An uncompromising, determined and not unskilful centre back. His speciality in an attacking sense was the flick-on at corners, at which he was very effective and led to a number of goals. A very popular and admirable performer.

I was at the Wednesday match in 1968, and it was a great night. Wednesday were fourth in Division 1 ( the top flight ) at the time and were full strength. We beat them fair and square.
Agree with everything you've said. Curtis's goal that night is one of the best I ever saw at St James, to me the classiest players to pull on City shirt.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with everything you've said. Curtis's goal that night is one of the best I ever saw at St James, to me the classiest players to pull on City shirt.
Really sad to hear this news it does not seem that long ago when I sat with him in the OG. Cannot remember the game but do remember him as a really nice guy and very easy to talk to.

Also agree about Dermot and that particular goal. He was not your typical centre forward and certainly not in the Ted Calland, Alan Banks, Tony Kellow, or Jayden Stockley mode but a very classy player. Not one to get too involved in goal mouth scrambles but a scorer of many quality and memorable goals.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad news indeed. Leaves fond memories with this fan too. RIP