• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Bob Wilson

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well this is awful news to go to bed on. Bob was an excellent keeper for us, ultimately displacing Peter Shearing and playing 220+ games for us between 1970-76. He played for bigger clubs prior to joining us, including Villa and Cardiff City, then in the old 2nd Division. He played in Europe for the latter. I got to know him when I refereed many a game when he played for Willeys, circa 1980. A great keeper, up there with the best, for us. We were very lucky he came our way. RIP Bob.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Club's obituary

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just seen the news via FB - very sad news, having met and spoken to him a few times he was a top bloke. Obviously I'm too young to have seen him play but by all accounts was a top keeper too.

the dog2

very sad news i remember him over a number of years being our no1 and was surprised when we let him go.
RIP

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sad news - as with many my first city keeper since watching so special memories and still a regular on match days.
RIP Bob

PeteUSA

very sad news i remember him over a number of years being our no1 and was surprised when we let him go.
RIP

We didnt altogether let Bob go. He commenced the 1975-76 season as automatic number one, and played in the first six games. Waiting in the wings was the untried amateur Richard Key, who stepped in when Bob got injured, and he never looked back! He played out of his skin and Bob couldnt get a look-in, playing only three more games later in the season when Key got injured. Bob had got to love Exeter and had one or two business ventures on the go as well as a wife. I recall he was involved in the sale of silver tropies and plaque's at one stage. He opted to retire rather than look for another FL club. He would have got a spot somewhere easily had he wanted to move. Still hard to believe he's gone.

andrew p long

Well this is awful news to go to bed on. Bob was an excellent keeper for us, ultimately displacing Peter Shearing and playing 220+ games for us between 1970-76. He played for bigger clubs prior to joining us, including Villa and Cardiff City, then in the old 2nd Division. He played in Europe for the latter. I got to know him when I refereed many a game when he played for Willeys, circa 1980. A great keeper, up there with the best, for us. We were very lucky he came our way. RIP Bob.

Well done Pete - excellent tributes and first hand knowledge in this tribute and your post at 26 in this thread.