• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Return of fans

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Statement from the Trevor Birch, CEO of the EFL

Return of Fans
On Monday (14th June) the Prime Minister confirmed that England was not yet ready to move to Step 4 of the Government’s roadmap largely due to the impact of the Delta Variant, with a four-week delay until July 19 being the most likely outcome.

Unsurprisingly, this decision has been a great disappointment to our colleagues across the summer sports and other parts of the leisure sector who, like us, are seeking a return to normality at the earliest opportunity.

From a purely EFL perspective, the ambition to get more people vaccinated more quickly can only be helpful in terms of our aim of achieving full grounds next season.

In order to help us achieve this aim, we remain in close and regular dialogue with the Government, principally through DCMS, but also through other relevant bodies such as the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA), the Welsh Government and other major sports bodies. However, at this time, there is still no clarity with regard to the situation we will face in the first week of August.

Nevertheless, we do take some encouragement from the initial findings of the Government’s Events Research Programme (ERP) with the data showing relatively low risks of transmission at outdoor events.

Furthermore, the plans to increase capacity at Wembley to a minimum of 50% for the knockout stages of the Euros, as well as playing the men’s and women’s Wimbledon finals in front of capacity crowds, are certainly steps in the right direction.

The League also continues to engage with the Government in relation to the use of Covid Certification. It remains our view that such an approach could have a very important role to play in helping clubs get more fans into stadiums safely and then keep attendance levels up over the winter months.

It is therefore encouraging that an approach of this kind is in operation at Wembley and will be at a number of other events in the next few weeks that will examine how sports events could be staged once we move to Step 4

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Note. If you want to comment on this, remember that this is not the politics thread or indeed has this been posted on Social Club. This is not a thread on Covid-19 so no comments on how it is being handled by the powers that be.

:)

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I expect that the Wembley games will tell us more when/if we ever get any data. I'm more optimistic about seeing us play live in August than us signing a player anytime soon.

Red Devon

Looking fairly optimistic I’d say.

Boyo

Note. If you want to comment on this, remember that this is not the politics thread or indeed has this been posted on Social Club. This is not a thread on Covid-19 so no comments on how it is being handled by the powers that be.

:)
Hants - I've removed all political and Covid-19 related content from the OP to help with this discussion:

On Monday (14th June) the Prime Minister confirmed that England was not yet ready to move to Step 4 of the Government’s roadmap largely due to the impact of the Delta Variant, with a four-week delay until July 19 being the most likely outcome.

Unsurprisingly, this decision has been a great disappointment to our colleagues across the summer sports and other parts of the leisure sector who, like us, are seeking a return to normality at the earliest opportunity.

From a purely EFL perspective, the ambition to get more people vaccinated more quickly can only be helpful in terms of our aim of achieving full grounds next season.

In order to help us achieve this aim, we remain in close and regular dialogue with the Government, principally through DCMS, but also through other relevant bodies such as the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA), the Welsh Government and other major sports bodies. However, at this time, there is still no clarity with regard to the situation we will face in the first week of August.

Nevertheless, we do take some encouragement from the initial findings of the Government’s Events Research Programme (ERP) with the data showing relatively low risks of transmission at outdoor events.

Furthermore, the plans to increase capacity at Wembley to a minimum of 50% for the knockout stages of the Euros, as well as playing the men’s and women’s Wimbledon finals in front of capacity crowds, are certainly steps in the right direction.

The League also continues to engage with the Government in relation to the use of Covid Certification. It remains our view that such an approach could have a very important role to play in helping clubs get more fans into stadiums safely and then keep attendance levels up over the winter months.

It is therefore encouraging that an approach of this kind is in operation at Wembley and will be at a number of other events in the next few weeks that will examine how sports events could be staged once we move to Step 4

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hants - I've removed all political and Covid-19 related content from the OP to help with this discussion:
Life needed?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Well, having attended SJP in that brief period before Xmas last year, with social distancing, hand sanitisers everywhere and masks being worn outside, personally, I never once felt nervous. I thought the club did a great job, the risk was as low as it ever could be at that time (prior to any vaccinations) and I was disappointed when we were stopped from going again. I hope July 19 sees an end to most of the regs but, if I had to, I would do the social distancing, mask wearing and whatever again. Anything to get back!

Oldsmobile-88

Lets hope by August football ground attendance is back to near enough what it was pre pandemic,with no restrictions.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hope we'll be able to get to some of the pre-season friendlies.

C j phill

If 2,000 UEFA officials, sponsors, hangers on and lackeys from abroad are allowed to attend Euro 2021 final games af Wembley without having to quarantine after travelling to England from "Amber" or "Red" designated countries, I can't see any reason why large numbers of fans wouldn't be allowed to attend games in any English stadium from that point forward.