• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

Agent Andy

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come and we haven't neglected the youth side. The rewards are so much greater if we sell a player performing well in league one and giving players an opportunity is something we shouldn't stop.
Very high hopes for the year below with two pros already signed and a few more to follow . A few changes in the academy but definitely not neglected.

tonykellowfan

Rowe has quite clearly been released with the intention to sign a new CM.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hope this isn't a sign of things to come and we haven't neglected the youth side. The rewards are so much greater if we sell a player performing well in league one and giving players an opportunity is something we shouldn't stop.
As the club have pointed out, there are two players from this age group in the professional game. Ben Chrisene was on the bench on Tuesday for Aston Villa -v- Liverpool. And Alfie Pond is such a good prospect.

If every year the academy produced a Chrisene and a Pond I'd be over the moon (though happier if the Chrisene stayed at City a bit longer!)

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rowe has quite clearly been released with the intention to sign a new CM.
Someone with League One know how.

dommers

If every year the academy produced a Chrisene and a Pond I'd be over the moon (though happier if the Chrisene stayed at City a bit longer!)
Pond hasn't made it yet and in previous years we've had four or five given contacts. If it's a case that the academy was producing players worthy of league two but not League one then that's fair enough. Interestingly some of our previous academy players are being offered contracts elsewhere and I hope we don't miss out on some by spending more wages on proven first team players

Boyo

I'm not entirely convinced by the 'blocked pathway' argument. Sure, its really tricky having two promising youngsters in the same position and its a relevant decision making factor.... BUT .... if they are both exceptionally good...? A good job that 8 years ago we didn't conclude that we couldn't keep both Jay and Watkins!

And though it is said the decision on Neville was influenced by the pathway having Diabate around, simultaneously MT was saying that he expects interest in Diabate this summer. It would look strange to Neville if Diabate left this summer, or in January.

I'm guessing that MT wants players ready earlier so players are being judged at U18 partly on their loan spells in non league, rather than waiting until they are young professionals being loaned out.
This is what Kevin Nicholson said about Charlie Hanson “Charlie has got attributes that would lead himself to be a professional footballer. He is quick and strong, and scored a good amount of goals, but he, unfortunately, plays in the same position as Sonny Cox.”

So clearly he has been released due to the pathway being blocked. I think that's sensible. In order for youngsters to develop and make the break through into the first team he has to be given opportunities, typically the Pizza Cup and the odd sub appearance in the league. Those opportunities are few and far between and if you are dividing game time between two players there's an increased risk that neither would have the game time to really kick on.

Number13

So who are the current players below those named on the retained list?

Guess they would be scholars rather than Pros?

Michael Lilley?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is what Kevin Nicholson said about Charlie Hanson “Charlie has got attributes that would lead himself to be a professional footballer. He is quick and strong, and scored a good amount of goals, but he, unfortunately, plays in the same position as Sonny Cox.”

So clearly he has been released due to the pathway being blocked. I think that's sensible. In order for youngsters to develop and make the break through into the first team he has to be given opportunities, typically the Pizza Cup and the odd sub appearance in the league. Those opportunities are few and far between and if you are dividing game time between two players there's an increased risk that neither would have the game time to really kick on.
I get this argument to an extent. However, it seems to overlook the fact that, in relative terms, most of the guys coming through the academy will be earning peanuts.

If, for instance, we genuinely believe that Charlie Hanson has what it takes to make a professional footballer then surely an argument could be made that for the sake of less than 20k a year, he might be worth a punt. Not everyone develops at the same rate [think Jordan Storey, who rose from nowhere to the Championship in a matter of months] and sometimes 'lesser fancied' youngsters improve past others.

Boyo

I get this argument to an extent. However, it seems to overlook the fact that, in relative terms, most of the guys coming through the academy will be earning peanuts.

If, for instance, we genuinely believe that Charlie Hanson has what it takes to make a professional footballer then surely an argument could be made that for the sake of less than 20k a year, he might be worth a punt. Not everyone develops at the same rate [think Jordan Storey, who rose from nowhere to the Championship in a matter of months] and sometimes 'lesser fancied' youngsters improve past others.
I see your point (although to secure Cox on a longer deal probably cost us significantly more than a typical first year pro contract), but it still doesn't negate the pathway issue. If we spread the limited number of first team opportunities too thinly, then perhaps neither would make it.

Take the savings from Hanson and Neville and utilise them elsewhere.

Cowshed Grecian

True, but i think its quite safe to say the club know what they are doing with Academy boys. You have to take into account the club now want to be established in L1, so therefore the goal posts change for the young prospects. I personally was quite surprised that Ellis Johnson was released. That 20k a year adds up.