• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Finalish point from MT worries me slightly - "We will have a smaller squad next season".
We only made it up because of strength in depth last season, all we need is for both Sams injuries to recur and we could be in a bit of trouble.
Hope Ollie goes for a few bob which might just generate funds to keep first team squad the same size and allow us to plug injury gaps.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Central midfield is already sorted.
Agree with the rest of what you said but I think central midfield, defensive midfield that is, could be improved by the introduction of a player who can really break up opposition play and knows how to control the game. Too often Archie is the most defensive player in midfield and he is left with an awful lot of work to do.

Exehausted

We might have a smaller squad overall, but we will with a few additions, have a large first team squad for League One. The difference will be we wont have 14 players out on loan, perhaps just 3 or 4. We were fast becoming "the Chelsea of the fourth tier". Paying the vast amount of the players wages while they were on loan to then release the majority of them. We're gonna be leaner and meaner. Look out League One (not just Argyle), we're coming for you!

StudentGrecian

This is why, and why Manchester City talk about the "departure" of a player........being just as important as recruitment.

Youth football: What happens to those who don't 'make it'? | UK News | Sky News
I don’t think the term is the issue though? Even the article you linked references it multiple times.
Surely the issue is surrounding the support they get after leaving pro football, not the wording of their departure.

I agree that more needs to be done to support young lads leaving pro football of course. But I think it’s something our club has done well for a long time. I’ve known a couple of lads who weren’t offered pro deals at city, but have talked about how the academy sets them up for life away from the professional game.

Do you have any links to show when people have had issues with the term ‘released’? Genuinely interested as never heard of it being a problem before.

Memphis09

Pretty expected that Atangana and Seymour got released.
Rowe and Daniel is maybe a little surprising but you can see why.

Recruitment needs in my opinion, must have: 1 first choice GK, 1 first choice number Striker (perhaps a big #9 with some hold up attributes?), 1 first choice midfielder. Additional nice to have: left back or left wing-back, maybe 1 or 2 wide midfielders or wingers.
Daniels no was pretty useless

Memphis09

WE must also as a club STOP using the term RELEASED. It is something that needs addressing in football, especially in the light of Jeremy Wisten! If your contract comes to an end, you are not released. A scholarship is no different to sixth form. You work hard in the hope you get grades to go onto University (if that's your choice). Some will make the grade, some wont.....just like football, but the school does not RELEASE you.......I'm glad to see this term not even used at Club statement - News - Scunthorpe United (scunthorpe-united.co.uk)

I would have hoped we would have been better at communicating this.
Oh dear

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Harry Kite will be the surprise package next season I reckon.

Rosencrantz

Rowe is the only slight surprise among the senior players. I was impressed from what I saw of Ellis Johnson and was surprised his loans didn't go a bit better than they did this season.

It leaves us with 22 (23 if Grounds signs) professionals on our books with a lot less in the way of young pros, only five now really without much in the way of senior experience and two of those are really u18's. Allowing for any bids being accepted and also for George Ray maybe being given the same question as in January I can see us in need of a GK, LB/LWB, CM (with Taylor out), CFx2. Possibly another winger and a LCB if Grounds doesn't sign.

grecIAN Harris

Pretty expected that Atangana and Seymour got released.
Rowe and Daniel is maybe a little surprising but you can see why.

Recruitment needs in my opinion, must have: 1 first choice GK, 1 first choice number Striker (perhaps a big #9 with some hold up attributes?), 1 first choice midfielder. Additional nice to have: left back or left wing-back, maybe 1 or 2 wide midfielders or wingers.
I would have thought a left back will be high on the list as we don't actually have one

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
George Ray staying. Will he be part of the match day squad or back up next season?