• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

budegrecian

Judging MT's remarks I think we'll be in the market for a left back and maybe a left sided CB if Grounds wont sign, wouldnt rule out Key leaving and Caprice moving to the right. Central midfield is already sorted.
Goalkeeper is a given and possibly two new strikers, one a strong target man and one a proven goalscorer. Don't think Cox is ready for 1st team action yet.
Agree with all of this apart from CM ; really think we need to bolster this area, otherwise we are in danger of overworking Archie and Tim. We've released Atangana and Rowe and Kyle Taylor is out for the season. This only leaves Harry Kite as cover. A couple of injuries and we would be struggling.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
WE must also as a club STOP using the term RELEASED. It is something that needs addressing in football, especially in the light of Jeremy Wisten! If your contract comes to an end, you are not released. A scholarship is no different to sixth form. You work hard in the hope you get grades to go onto University (if that's your choice). Some will make the grade, some wont.....just like football, but the school does not RELEASE you.......I'm glad to see this term not even used at Club statement - News - Scunthorpe United (scunthorpe-united.co.uk)

I would have hoped we would have been better at communicating this.
I can see the point you are making and it's a thoughtful one.
And as per the Scunthorpe example you quote it doesn't have to be used.
Food for thought.

The term 'release' I believe is because of the system of registration used by football clubs.
i.e. the release is a freedom to register with another club.

Clubs are very cautious indeed when it comes to player registrations.

Are there potential registration tangles in Higher Education?

andrew p long

Being in L1 raises the bar for the academy, and almost inevitably, fewer players will make it. Listening to the MT interview however it sounds like a couple of them were very unlucky, as they were released as their pathways were blocked by existing youngsters (Cox and Diabate).
I'm not entirely convinced by the 'blocked pathway' argument. Sure, its really tricky having two promising youngsters in the same position and its a relevant decision making factor.... BUT .... if they are both exceptionally good...? A good job that 8 years ago we didn't conclude that we couldn't keep both Jay and Watkins!

And though it is said the decision on Neville was influenced by the pathway having Diabate around, simultaneously MT was saying that he expects interest in Diabate this summer. It would look strange to Neville if Diabate left this summer, or in January.

I'm guessing that MT wants players ready earlier so players are being judged at U18 partly on their loan spells in non league, rather than waiting until they are young professionals being loaned out.

andrew p long

WE must also as a club STOP using the term RELEASED. It is something that needs addressing in football, especially in the light of Jeremy Wisten! If your contract comes to an end, you are not released. A scholarship is no different to sixth form. You work hard in the hope you get grades to go onto University (if that's your choice). Some will make the grade, some wont.....just like football, but the school does not RELEASE you.......I'm glad to see this term not even used at Club statement - News - Scunthorpe United (scunthorpe-united.co.uk)

You make a good point. I wonder whether the term 'released' is still used to show that we are not seeking a fee if the player signs elsewhere as for example happens when the contract of an U24 expires and/or they turn down our offer of a new contract (Ampadu, Boateng etc)

Having said that we need a better word than 'released' ('not offered a new contract' is less bad, but I'm sure someone can devise something better)

AndrewP

The retained list is one heck of a list though!.... With a few enhancements, genuinely optimistic we'll be more than ok next season.

Agent Andy

Its just an opinion as well. Look at Jack Stafford.....who was recently signed by Swansea....
We released Mac Boyd and Matt Wonnacott from our keeper ranks and both are just about to sign pro forms with championship clubs , no pathway with Harry Lee being signed up

Cowshed Grecian

Eh? The term released is used so that other clubs know that they are no longer attached to said club.Therefore promoting them as a free agent. There’s nothing derogatory to it.

Christian

Eh? The term released is used so that other clubs know that they are no longer attached to said club.Therefore promoting them as a free agent. There’s nothing derogatory to it.
This is why, and why Manchester City talk about the "departure" of a player........being just as important as recruitment.

Youth football: What happens to those who don't 'make it'? | UK News | Sky News

Red Devon

Surprised with Callum Rowe going, Newport away was probably where it went a bit wrong for him.

fred binneys head

Surprised with Callum Rowe going, Newport away was probably where it went a bit wrong for him.
Good point, he really struggled that day and if I was KMT he would have been taken off at HT. Seemed to get more slack than Nige for a similar performance.