• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I never said that their judgement was flawless but that article surely backs up what I have been saying doesn't it, given the time given to Ben 🙂.

I'm not sure where your argument is going now Egg. Are you saying that because the club think that a player has the potential for a professional career, say at lower L2 or NL level (for example Jamie Reid), but not quite the standard we are looking for we should take a punt on them? Jamie needed games to get to the level he is playing at now and wasn't getting them here. We have to think of the players best pathway to reach their potential as well and that might not be with us.
But football is not a pure science, of course. There will always be a risk letting someone go or keeping them on. Even the very best managers make wrong decisions.
And many young players in the Leagues were built up to be something special but flopped. So I guess the conclusion is that we just have to accept the club will make mistakes sometimes.

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I never said that their judgement was flawless but that article surely backs up what I have been saying doesn't it, given the time given to Ben 🙂.

I'm not sure where your argument is going now Egg. Are you saying that because the club think that a player has the potential for a professional career, say at lower L2 or NL level (for example Jamie Reid), but not quite the standard we are looking for we should take a punt on them? Jamie needed games to get to the level he is playing at now and wasn't getting them here. We have to think of the players best pathway to reach their potential as well and that might not be with us.
As I've said, I think we're on pretty much the same page. My only real question is around this suggestion that some youngsters might be denied a professional contract because their pathways to the first team aren't, if you like, 'clear and obvious'. I absolutely appreciate we can't keep everyone, but am a little bit nervous about so readily jettisoning those in who we've already invested considerable time and resource solely because, at this point in time, one of their peers has a more obvious route to the first team.

Last edited:

IndoMike

As I've said, I think we're on pretty much the same page. My only real question is around this suggestion that some youngsters might be denied a professional contract because their pathways to the first team aren't, if you like, 'clear and obvious'. I absolutely appreciate we can't keep everyone, but am a little bit nervous about so readily jettisoning those in who we've already invested considerable time and resource solely because, at this point in time, one of their peers has a more obvious route to the first team.
Perhaps "pathway is blocked" is simply a euphemism for "not good enough" (for whatever reason).

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

In essence, if the club said it was letting someone go because they didn't think he would make the grade I'd understand that – at some point there has to be a judgement call. However, it seems to me that's rather different from saying we think this player might well make the grade we're allowing them to leave because as of this moment someone else is ahead of them in the pecking order.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps "pathway is blocked" is simply a euphemism for "not good enough" (for whatever reason).
If it is then I'm 100 per cent on board – see my post above – but would suggest there might be better ways of communicating this.

C j phill

If it is then I'm 100 per cent on board – see my post above – but would suggest there might be better ways of communicating this.
I was wondering whether the coach's wording was simply a way of softening the public announcement for the decision not to continue the progression of a young adult, whose aspirations of a professional career with City had just come to an end. In these circumstances, the way of communicating might be the best available, rather than a much more honest, or correspondingly, brutal, public comment.

Rosencrantz

But that will always be the case within a finite budget. Not only has Toby Nevile been let go but also Jordan Dyer because of the performances of their peers in Cheick Diabate and Alfie Pond. If they thought Charlie had a good potential to be near Sonny, they would have kept him. It is an area of the game that can be brutal.

Don't underestimate what they also see coming in the pipeline in next year's age group because that would also be a factor, as it already is as Sonny is of that age group.

Banksy

Exactly.

IndoMike

Just a "perhaps", Egg.

Agent Andy

’ …….he, unfortunately, plays in the same position as Sonny Cox ‘
Come late to this discussion , but here goes. It puts an awful lot on us making it big on Cox with him really coming good for us , if young Hanson is that decent himself. All our eggs in one basket as it were.No doubt someone on here can rate them against each other on a scale of one to ten although I appreciate they’ll have different attributes .Both are forwards too , a position we don’t seem to develop many decent ones of compared to other positions.
Be a pity if Cox ends up at Wycombe and Hanson Brentford or Villa. Who knows in the strange world of football? And injuries or being prone to them I suppose could come into it too later.
Pity we couldn’t have kept them both if they’re that good but ultimately I guess we must respect the Club’s judgment.
I would love Cox and Hanson up front together both very different players and good at what they do .Hanson is a year older than Cox but I would rate them both 8 /10 . Cox will move on pretty soon and I think Hanson might of left for non footballing reasons and will do well else where