• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we're losing 4 strikers from the squad in Seymour, Phillips, Zanzala, and Amond I assume we will be signing at least 2 strikers, probably 3.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is down to their judgement of potential standards though. They always thought Ollie had the potential not just to have a pro career, but do a good job for us and go higher. Just saying that Charlie has potential for a pro career doesn't mean that they think his potential is good enough for a pro career at the level we are looking for.
Again, I don't altogether disagree with you, although I do think there's a hefty dose of hindsight at play here.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the end of the day I trust the clubs judgement and reasoning on who to release and who to keep. How many players have we released previously that turn out to be players at our level or above?
To be clear, so do I. At the same time, I think the pathway debate is an interesting one.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is what Kevin Nicholson said about Charlie Hanson “Charlie has got attributes that would lead himself to be a professional footballer. He is quick and strong, and scored a good amount of goals, but he, unfortunately, plays in the same position as Sonny Cox.”

So clearly he has been released due to the pathway being blocked. I think that's sensible. In order for youngsters to develop and make the break through into the first team he has to be given opportunities, typically the Pizza Cup and the odd sub appearance in the league. Those opportunities are few and far between and if you are dividing game time between two players there's an increased risk that neither would have the game time to really kick on.
But weren't one or 2 clubs very interested in Sonny a year or so ago? If there is just one player "blocking the pathway" then for me the pathway ain't blocked. Of course, if the club thinks he's not going to make it, that's a different story. Or if there are 2 or 3 players ahead of him also different. Anyway, we're all just armchair critics so as usual In the end we bow to the experts.

Rosencrantz

Again, I don't altogether disagree with you, although I do think there's a hefty dose of hindsight at play here.
I think the key quote in that article is "he had big potential". That suggests Tis thought that if he could help Ollie unlock that, Ollie could go on further. Ollie still had to put his work into that which he has done. The doubt was about unlocking the "big potential". If the club felt that Ollie didn't have that potential then we would have let him go after a period of hitting that "wall". It's about gaging that potential and where the perceived "ceiling" is. The higher the potential, the more patience that is shown in unlocking it.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the key quote in that article is "he had big potential". That suggests Tis thought that if he could help Ollie unlock that, Ollie could go on further. Ollie still had to put his work into that which he has done. The doubt was about unlocking the "big potential". If the club felt that Ollie didn't have that potential then we would have let him go after a period of hitting that "wall". It's about gaging that potential and where the perceived "ceiling" is. The higher the potential, the more patience that is shown in unlocking it.
https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/could-ben-seymour-next-big-3137319 ;)

Banksy

’ …….he, unfortunately, plays in the same position as Sonny Cox ‘
Come late to this discussion , but here goes. It puts an awful lot on us making it big on Cox with him really coming good for us , if young Hanson is that decent himself. All our eggs in one basket as it were.No doubt someone on here can rate them against each other on a scale of one to ten although I appreciate they’ll have different attributes .Both are forwards too , a position we don’t seem to develop many decent ones of compared to other positions.
Be a pity if Cox ends up at Wycombe and Hanson Brentford or Villa. Who knows in the strange world of football? And injuries or being prone to them I suppose could come into it too later.
Pity we couldn’t have kept them both if they’re that good but ultimately I guess we must respect the Club’s judgment.

Rosencrantz

I never said that their judgement was flawless but that article surely backs up what I have been saying doesn't it, given the time given to Ben 🙂.

I'm not sure where your argument is going now Egg. Are you saying that because the club think that a player has the potential for a professional career, say at lower L2 or NL level (for example Jamie Reid), but not quite the standard we are looking for we should take a punt on them? Jamie needed games to get to the level he is playing at now and wasn't getting them here. We have to think of the players best pathway to reach their potential as well and that might not be with us.

Boyo

But weren't one or 2 clubs very interested in Sonny a year or so ago? If there is just one player "blocking the pathway" then for me the pathway ain't blocked. Of course, if the club thinks he's not going to make it, that's a different story. Or if there are 2 or 3 players ahead of him also different. Anyway, we're all just armchair critics so as usual In the end we bow to the experts.
Well that may be your opinion but the opinion of Nicholson and Taylor is that the path is blocked. Maybe that's a smokescreen, but I'm taking it at face value.

chunkymorrinmunter

Pond hasn't made it yet and in previous years we've had four or five given contacts. If it's a case that the academy was producing players worthy of league two but not League one then that's fair enough. Interestingly some of our previous academy players are being offered contracts elsewhere and I hope we don't miss out on some by spending more wages on proven first team players
Pond interesting Celtic apparently