• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List 2021

dontpassback

Jake Taylor’s salary might free up another signing,but let’s hope the wage is not wasted as it was on ajose,when we sign players we really need to ensure we aren’t getting hoodwinked by either player or his agent !oh and I would love to see George friend back at the park,and Paul Jones isn’t a bad shout either

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Covid was not a normal situation. Do you think everyone has behaved normally during covid?
Maybe he needed a bit of encouragement? People aren't perfect, you know. And footballers are like racehorses : they have to be managed.
Yes COVID is a unique situation but are you suggesting we should have gotten in touch with him and basically say “Tom, put down the pie, think of your career”?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Covid was not a normal situation. Do you think everyone has behaved normally during covid?
Maybe he needed a bit of encouragement? People aren't perfect, you know. And footballers are like racehorses : they have to be managed.
They also need to have a good level of discipline.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed, if Parkes let himself go during lockdown as MT has suggested then he only has himself to blame. He was decent for us overall but its probably time for him to move on anyway.

I'm not sure about Paul Jones, I was never a massive fan of his when he was with us previously. He always looked to be half asleep and gave me the impression his next big error was never far away. Perhaps I'm wrong as I don't actually remember any obvious errors from him.

George Friend would be an incredible signing but I fear its a year or two to early for him to drop back down to L2 level and L2 wages. He's still at the top of his game.

The Jake Taylor replacement is crucial and one we must get right. He was such an ever present in the team and always gave a 7+/10 performance every week, so reliable and a real terrier who remained injury free.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
We still haven't replaced Law either so need a new Jake and a new Nicky.

Box to box midfielders who can put a shift and a tackle in, an eye for a pass, chip in with 8-10 goals a season and lead the team on and off the pitch. Simples...

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
George Friend would be an incredible signing but I fear its a year or two to early for him to drop back down to L2 level and L2 wages. He's still at the top of his game.
Not sure about that. He was in and out of a struggling Birmingham side.

He will be 34 in October, not sure I'd want him down here much further down the fine.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes COVID is a unique situation but are you suggesting we should have gotten in touch with him and basically say “Tom, put down the pie, think of your career”?
Nope. I'm saying I'm surprised that it wasn't noticed that he was putting on weight. The covid break lasted quite a while : find it difficult to believe that the condition of professional athletes was not monitored.
It's not very difficult to have zoom calls with players to see how they were getting on.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope. I'm saying I'm surprised that it wasn't noticed that he was putting on weight.
Maybe it was.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope. I'm saying I'm surprised that it wasn't noticed that he was putting on weight. The covid break lasted quite a while : find it difficult to believe that the condition of professional athletes was not monitored.
It's not very difficult to have zoom calls with players to see how they were getting on.
I’d be amazed if we didn’t check in with players. In fact, I’m sure I remember Matt Taylor saying they’d been in regular contact throughout.

The fact remains that the buck stops with the player. Matt Jay went away and came back in better condition. Parkes let himself down, end of.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure about that. He was in and out of a struggling Birmingham side.

He will be 34 in October, not sure I'd want him down here much further down the fine.
Fair one. Didn't realise he was 34 for some reason I thought he was 31 and i thought he'd captained Birmingham throughout the season. Must get my facts right!

He sounds like the perfect fit then!