• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List 2021

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree. Refreshingly honest but also a bit too open. Not sure he'll be on Tom Parkes' Christmas card list especially.
On the flip side, he was gushing about Jake and that should help him find a club and a decent contract

I like the honesty. Too much dancing round the subject in football tbh. Players earn a decent wage for a job that many of is would dream of. Players that don't make the make the most of their opportunity through laziness or apathy deserve to be called out.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Parkes let himself go during lockdown he only has himself to blame, shows a lack of respect to the manager, the club and it's supporters.

No problem with Taylor putting it out there.

People who follow the club cannot moan about a lack of information and then moan about too much information.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do
If Parkes let himself go during lockdown he only has himself to blame, shows a lack of respect to the manager, the club and it's supporters.

People who follow the club cannot moan about a lack of information and then moan about too much information.
I'm not saying he wasn't right, but its not something that normally 'hits the streets'

IndoMike

He's hardly going to say that the new signings will be worse than current players. Imagine the uproar on here...
Yeah, but nobody suggested he should say that did they?
By saying the new signings will be the better players in the team has 2 issues :
1. It kind of devalues the players still at the club.
2. What if some of them prove to be worse than he expects? He's set a high bar for himself

Imo it would be better just to say we're hoping to bring in 3 or 4 very good players who can add to the quality of the team.

IndoMike

How could a player be allowed to "let himself go". Even during covid there were ways and means of monitoring their weight and fitness.

Grecianpasty

Not a great stretch to say that, is it?
They scored 40 between them this season......
Yes they did. Do you think they will score more than 40+? Its one thing to do it once, but to do it over consequtive seasons is a big stretch.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
How could a player be allowed to "let himself go". Even during covid there were ways and means of monitoring their weight and fitness.
Hang on, Parkes is an adult and a professional sportsman. He would’ve been given a programme to follow, but the club couldn’t hold his hand and physically monitor him in person due to the lockdown. The players had to take responsibility and if he let himself go, then it’s solely his fault.

andrew p long

I’ve never been very impressed with Sweeney, he’s very inconsistent. Like you said I’ve been thinking he’s been looking very porky this season. He’s been here a while, apart from the odd few good games…he’s a bottom half League 2 player at best.
You may think that but Matt Taylor has selected him to play in 120 league games in three seasons...

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
So who are you blaming ?

andrew p long

By publicly pointing out the shortcomings of the released players, he's made it trickier for them to find a new club. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I'm not sure he will be thanked..It's unusual for this to happen, normally players leave, with thanks for their services and nothing else in the way of comment.
I worry about this too. Previously MT said that James Hamon wasn't good enough to be City's reserve keeper and that Luke Croll's injuries had both physical and mental elements. Gentler language this time but as others have said MT clearly implies bad things about Parkes' weight and therefore professionalism.

That doesn't help players find a new contract elsewhere. And won't possible new signings think 'if I sign a two year contract at Exeter and it doesn't work out, they will slag me off at the end of the contract'?