• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List 2021

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I worry about this too. Previously MT said that James Hamon wasn't good enough to be City's reserve keeper and that Luke Croll's injuries had both physical and mental elements. Gentler language this time but as others have said MT clearly implies bad things about Parkes' weight and therefore professionalism.

That doesn't help players find a new contract elsewhere. And won't possible new signings think 'if I sign a two year contract at Exeter and it doesn't work out, they will slag me off at the end of the contract'?
If what Taylor is saying is correct why would it be considered as slagging someone off ?

If Parkes wants a contract somewhere he should look after himself better. The blame seems to lie at his door.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
are we retaining our kit for next season or is a new one due?

ExmouthMart

I worry about this too. Previously MT said that James Hamon wasn't good enough to be City's reserve keeper and that Luke Croll's injuries had both physical and mental elements. Gentler language this time but as others have said MT clearly implies bad things about Parkes' weight and therefore professionalism.

That doesn't help players find a new contract elsewhere. And won't possible new signings think 'if I sign a two year contract at Exeter and it doesn't work out, they will slag me off at the end of the contract'?
And don’t forget the good things he said. Jake Taylor way too good for this team and one of the few he trusted! None of them fantastic players but good honest professionals who didn’t really do anything terrible, just in the end not good enough in a transitional season playing under a global pandemic. Perhaps Ajose told him where to go and stood his ground. Not the first time certain players castigated and Taylor will need to back his judgement up next season with a real improvement in the squad and our League position.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Matt's frankness is refreshing, nevertheless, I tend to agree with Andrew in that it might not encourage some players to come to the club.

Notwithstanding that, you run the risk that Nicky Ajose and Tom Parkes recall events very differently and decide to put their version of events into the public domain. Given that might not help either party, why heighten the risk of it happening?!

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t. He’s been so poor this season and has looked like he didn’t want to be here. Think he’s messed up a chance of a Championship club signing him, even on a free.
I agree he has been poor and disappointing this season but there are reasons behind that. I believe if he was to sign a new contract and settle down again he can regain the form he showed in 2019 because the ability is there.

Reactions: Ash

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree he has been poor and disappointing this season but there are reasons behind that. I believe if he was to sign a new contract and settle down again he can regain the form he showed in 2019 because the ability is there.
Yes, you’re right, if his head is in the right place he’d be one of the first names on our team sheet. Had we gone up there would have maybe been a chance of keeping him, but I think the chances of him opting to stay are very very slim.

JamieEcfc

Randall Williams probably the only name I'll be sad to see go - Our best football this season came when Williams - Jay - Randall were all playing.

That being said all the players on their way are replaceable.

Jake Taylor has been a great servant to the club - I do think it frees up wages for a better option so I'm not too concerned about the departure.

I liked the honesty from Matt Taylor when discussing each player its always nice to see the managers perspective.

Nicky Ajose will go down as one of the worst ££ for ££ signings we've made.

I was surprised to see Noah Smerdon released, I had hoped he was one for the future for us.

The most interesting releases were BOTH goalkeepers on their way out, would love Jökull Andrésson to stay even if it is just a season long loan.

IndoMike

So who are you blaming ?
You.

IndoMike

Hang on, Parkes is an adult and a professional sportsman. He would’ve been given a programme to follow, but the club couldn’t hold his hand and physically monitor him in person due to the lockdown. The players had to take responsibility and if he let himself go, then it’s solely his fault.
Covid was not a normal situation. Do you think everyone has behaved normally during covid?
Maybe he needed a bit of encouragement? People aren't perfect, you know. And footballers are like racehorses : they have to be managed.

Grecianman135

Paul Jones is after a new club... and the George Friend rumours milling about...anyone know what Barry Corr Is up to these days?? let's get the band back together.. 😌