• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Replacement for Gill

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good players always find time on the ball, and look comfortable on it. He looked like he knew exactly where to be when the ball wasn't near him, and we looked far more cohesive when he came on.
Harley looked the same, especially in the first half. Always had that yard of space, made it look so easy and played passes without even thinking about, including a ludicrous no look pass to Saunders who ran past Harley on the left whilst he was looking over to the right. And he was tackling too, which is a nice bonus.

Shamus

Harley looked the same, especially in the first half. Always had that yard of space, made it look so easy and played passes without even thinking about, including a ludicrous no look pass to Saunders who ran past Harley on the left whilst he was looking over to the right. And he was tackling too, which is a nice bonus.
I am excited now, Dunne sounds like a real shout for a Gill replacement. Young and exciting, bit of bite. Will take him time to settle I am sure, but let's enjoy the ride. But, I really think this could be Harley's year, reckon he has the potential to be an all time City great, but showed some skill now needs to put in the week in week out performances. I really do think the higher level could suit him better as well, the more skillful players look better and better as we go up the levels

Roll on the 8th!!!

crocks

As long as Russell is nowhere near Elland Road on the 8th.....but I just know that he will start.

Gozzer

I have a feeling that we won't be signing a replacement, the reason being that I believe Gilly is very difficult to replace on a like-for-like basis on our budget. If so, that means we'll have to play a different way.

It seems likely that Russell is set to play a key part, but from what we saw of him during his loan spell, he won't be pulling up any trees on the mobility front. This suggests to me that he will be the player sitting in front of the back four, directing operations in the way that Edwards has done so well (I am assuming that Edwards will be used as cover in central defence or as left back, and also maybe as cover for Russell). Given a settled role in the side I would expect Russell to have a greater impact this year than last, when he struggled to settle into the existing formation(s).

Depending on what formation we are likely to play, I would suspect that he will be complemented in central midfield by more mobile players -- one or two of Cozic, Panther, Harley or Sercombe, depending on the attacking/defending emphasis required for any given situation.

If we play an advanced central midfielder, we have Stewart, Harley, Saunders and possibly Sercombe well capable of filling that role.

If we play with wide midfielders, we have Sercombe and Harley, with Shephard and Frear in various states of readiness, so we look a little light here.

I'm sure that there will be those who think we should be signing at least one out and out winger, but I suspect Tis would only want to play that way if he had an absolutely outstanding wing talent at his disposal.

So any signing will, I think, be a wide player of some sort, and not a direct replacement for Gilly.
I agree with Ian, Gilly made the team tick, but now he's gone City will have to play a different way. Tis will have to get the best out of the players he has. Two seasons ago, we were promoted with two wingers. Last season after they had gone he got us promoted without playing wingers at all. This season calls for more adaptation.

Meanwhile I doubt that Norwich will get the best out of Gill, so its all a bit of a waste, but we'll survive.

Cider

We're so well covered to replace gill. Dunne ill take everyones word , harley saunders are both capable. The replacement im REALLY REALLY worried about is the one for Edwards.

im not so sure our centre backs are experienced enough to manage without him. and ive not seen us sign a defensive minded midfielder

but hey, what do I know.
I agree with this. We are potentially at risk in this area of the field. Hopefully Tis will have a cunning plan.

rifraf

You could argue that I'm not qualified to talk because Salisbury tonight, and Weymouth (reserves) tomorrow, will be my 1st games this season. But I have always advocated that, if they're good enough, no matter what age, then "play 'em". As a thousand examples, but I'll chose just (an extreme) one: What if Everton had elected to stifle a young mid-teenage lad called Rooney, who was starting to show promise in the reserves?

Maybe this applies to Norwood, Bennett and (perhaps?) Frier too?? Though I am well aware of the dangers also. Tis has clearly got it right in the past with Friend and Sercombe - ( I believe Deano had already come thru' the ranks by the time Tis had arrived). Perhaps we should trust in Tis again now. However, it would be nice if we had another 'Rooney' incubating in the reserve nest and just about ready to hatch into the first team - and I believe we have a manager with the the vision, tenacity and timing to 'blood' them when the time is right. The sooner the better hopefully.

Back on theme: if you say Dunne is looking the business as a replacement for Gilly - I say GET HIM IN THERE regardless of age - he was 'surplus' at Arsenal: remind what league they're in and how high-up they tend to finish again? Accordingly, for me Harley, Dunne, Sercombe and Stewart/Edwards (depending) look like the likely starting midfield line-up from the (closely read) comments on here. With Bertie and Manny not too far away. And I havn't mentioned Saunders.

Exciting times. On the pitch, I think we have a squad who are at a crossroads as to where we go now. Looking forward to tonight's game.

Next. I will break tradition re adverse comment on individual players. Unless he's dramatically improved from last season, I am very word about Russell's tenure in the squad. There comes a time for all of us to hang the boots up eventually - it hurt me to do it, and I played nowhere near the rarified heights of professional football, so I know where he is.

And finally - 'Up front'. Pleased with Logie's start to season - he could well feature more at this rate I guess. I'll give Corr a chance yet before judgement, as it's far too early and inappropriate to comment until we settle into league games - though I can see him becoming a fans' favourite if he stays fit and starts to bang them in - which he is VERY capable of doing with the right service. But, for me, we still urgently need a 15-20 goal a season striker (like Fleetwood) - at the right price and salary (and that's the problem). If they're free, why were they released? If they have undemanding wages, how good are they in the 1st place, if they can't hold their own against other strikers who are more successful and demanding more money. For me Fleetwood is the missing jigsaw piece in the League 1 puzzle. But not at a silly price. Shame. But there it is. And wrong thread so I'll stop here.

Looking forward to the line-up tonight against Salisbury. Will this be the start an early insight as to Tis's thinking in 2 weeks time??

exesaddler

Gill was a luxury we enjoyed but no longer have. Not seen anyone play like him at the Park for some years and don't expect a like for like replacement anytime soon.

We do have players capable of performing a very effective role in midfield however. Not been overly exited in the past re Manny but on Saturday he was a mini revelation when he came on...OK it was only Savage he kept getting the better of but he had drive and a very focused feel about his game. He and the craft of Ryan, could do well together as long as Ryan is in the center where he sees the ball and not pushed out wide.

Agree with some on here that Alex looked a little short on ideas with the ball but then he is being compared with Gill.

Should be an interesting season.

Can't wait!

CC

Where does Burnell play? I've seen him variously described as a defensive midfielder or a defender. Has anyone seen anything in him in the PSFs to suggest he will be in the mix come August 8th?

finetime

My Arsenal supporting friend rated Dunne in the reserve matches he had seen and I trust his judgement on a player. Compact, neat and tidy in possession and likes putting his feet in. Not quite up to it technically for Arsenal but then again, who is? He's having to compete with some seriously talented central midfielders apparently... He seemed to think there would be little problems him gonig straight into L1 although he's likely to get booked a lot. Probably someone to blood in gradually but should be in the squad from the start IMO.

As others have said, Russell is almost certainly going to start against Leeds. I have a feeling Tis will back experience and go with Rob E and Russell in the middle and we'll get done.

If our midfield is a central three I hope it is composed of two tough tackling central midfielders with great engines - Two of Dunne, Manny, Bertie or Burnell (I suppose). And then one creative player in Harley, Russell (?) or Stewart.

I don't think we've got the squad to play a midfield four at the moment unless Golbourne moves up to play LM. Then I'd have Bertie and Dunne in the centre and keep things tight, play Stewart up front and withdrawn with wither Logan or Corr.

Then again, what do I know? I haven't seen any of the PSF games so far :D

greenawayr

The problem for me seems to be that Golbourne is not up to scratch defensively. He looked poor at the back against Derby but better going forward.

I don't see him being the answer to our left back problem if we played four at the back or left wing back if we go 5-3-2 (or similar) unless he sharpens his game up. Dissappointing for someone who very nearly cracked it at Reading. Could certainly see him making into a good wide midfielder but that doesn't really fit into our current plans.