• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Disbanded

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The debate here has followed a similar pattern to all sorts of things from the drum, blocked views from displays, the stanno song...

RL make a choice as a group, the pendants come on in with their worldly views, pretend they don’t care but continue to post little pithy comments, believing - falsely - that in doing so that makes them almost pundits of a kind.

The best thing was, we never did listen to those voices, cracked on and delivered a lot of good moments to our football club. We were never under any obligation to do so, but did it because we love the club. So fitting really that this ends with yet another exeweb borefest :D

Good evening lads.

geoffwp

This all just sounds like the stuff that happens in junior school playgrounds. I dont think I have heard anything quite so silly in a long time. If it had been back in cowshed days I have no doubt we'd have kicked off big time not given up big time. CODES? Like all fekkin rules, there to be broken. Ridiculous.

IndoMike

The main issue when comparing the likes of us to the likes of Galatasaray or even smaller Turkish clubs for example of similar size to us is that they actively want to get involved in the action on a matchday. British crowds just sing a few songs when their side has had a shot or scored and then they shut up. For these clubs like Galatasaray, half of the day is about going to watch their team and the other half is about making a song and dance about it for 90 minutes. Not 30 seconds after a player has had a shot on target but for the duration of the game. Anyone singing, jumping about and waving flags inside a British ground for 90 minutes would be certified insane because it's just not what we do and we should.

Even if we are 5-0 down the chanting and flag waving should be as loud as ever but fans in this country are a zillion miles off being like the ones in Europe. Because for the most part it takes effort. Effort which the RL have valiantly tried to upkeep and even try to motivate others to their credit but the upshot is that most footy fans in this country are unimaginative and not interested in proper sustained vocal support.
No bloke over the age of 30, especially in the IP, is gonna stand up and start up a chant or song, because they know nobody will follow them and they're gonna look like an idiot.
So the atmosphere at SJP depends totally on that created by the Big Bank. Now, if the players and other fans at the matches don't mind the match being played in silence, then no problem.
I remember watching two home matches a couple of years ago : Wycombe and Stevenage, IIRC. The atmosphere v Wycombe was excellent and that v Stevenage was so-so. I much preferred the atmosphere v Wycombe.
So, assuming most fans like a good atmosphere, I think some posters are being a bit harsh on the Red Legion. It's easy to be sarky, but the majority of fans don't actually contribute much to the atmosphere at all : they just want others to do it .
Also having something stolen from your home leaves a very bad taste. Ever had your house robbed? Then you know that feeling that your territory has been invaded and that feeling is not good.
But, I do hope that the lads in the BB will get together again, ignore the cynics, and create a good atmosphere again - at least for yourselves and for the team.

Legohead

Banned
I know that fans in the IP or the NOG aren't going to stand up and start chanting but others in the BB could do so.

Colesman Ballz

This all just sounds like the stuff that happens in junior school playgrounds. I dont think I have heard anything quite so silly in a long time. If it had been back in cowshed days I have no doubt we'd have kicked off big time not given up big time. CODES? Like all fekkin rules, there to be broken. Ridiculous.
Wouldn't have had you down as a former member of the "Sly Crew" Geoff . Life is full of surprises !

Grecian Max

Silly(y) Playgrounds(y) “Long time”(y) Cowshed days(y)

Exeweb bingo.

IndoMike

I know that fans in the IP or the NOG aren't going to stand up and start chanting but others in the BB could do so.
Needs some organisation, or at least a leader to start it up. Like the Barmy Army etc.

muppetdodger

I see the club have issued a statement on this. Short and sweet, but whatever the Red Legion do, if the flag is not returned it surely isnt rocket science to trace the people who broke into the ground and did this. Personally it makes not a lot of difference to me, but I think if someone broke into the ground 'out of hours' then the club should do all possible to find the people who did it. Pathetic really, and shows a sad side to football fans I think.

Antony Moxey

the pendants come on in with their worldly views
On a thread about flags getting pinched that’s what you call a Freudian slip.

And if I may Max, for someone who claims not care what people think, you aren’t half spending a lot of time telling people you don’t care what people think.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anybody else hanker for the days when being a footie fan was less complicated ? Gone are the days when rival fans could ring up and arrange to meet, duff each other up in a local park and then whilst spitting out a fragment of broken tooth say "Same time next season ?". There was always the off chance of getting interviewed by a tough guy actor from Eastenders too.