• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reading's goal that never was!!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I see the ref was 25 ? surely too young to be refereeing in that standard so early....

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Both managers were actually very complimentary of the Ref, as have been the Premiership managers who have had him so far.

Not his fault the lino completely screwed up in what was a very crowded box.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely he must have known something was amiss. The players didnt appeal, the crowd didnt appeal and nobody seemed to know what was going on. If i was the ref i probably would of thought something funny is going on here and had a look at the tv replay. (I know you arent meant to but it would have saved the embarassment)

As for replaying games, it would be a long season if we start replaying the games every time an official makes a mistake.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
True, there is that - although there are times when the players miss something that an official spots (often see penalties given for something the players didn't really notice happening only to find the Ref was spot on).

On your last sentence - can we therefore replay several matches from 02/03? :D

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
As for replaying games, it would be a long season if we start replaying the games every time an official makes a mistake.
This isnt just a mistake...it is a first class howler of the highest order.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Attwood is back in the Prem on Saturday. Good thing IMO, if you fall off your horse the best you can do is get right back on it. Watch him have a blinder.

exeips

Well, Attwood is back in the Prem on Saturday. Good thing IMO, if you fall off your horse the best you can do is get right back on it. Watch him have a blinder.
He's only 4th official though on Saturday Jason.

He should have been the ref tonight at Ipswich but was drop.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=575190&sec=england&cc=5739

ecfcandy

its still makes me laugh how the lino even dreamed of giving it and how the ref actually awarded it!!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, OK - the fact that he was shown faith, though, even as 4th official, is fine by me.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
its still makes me laugh how the lino even dreamed of giving it and how the ref actually awarded it!!
In fairness, I must relate an episode in a match I was playing a couple of seasons ago. We had a shot that went in, right in the middle of the goal, but managed to go through a hole in the net and passed through without even rippling the net.

The Ref wasn't certain that the ball had actually entered the goal, and as a result wasn't able to give it. It was only when some of the oppo's more honest players confirmed that the ball had definitely gone in that the goal was awarded.

Of course, there was also the Halifax incident at City a couple of seasons back...