• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reading's goal that never was!!

whacker

And if this had happened at Old Trafford ??? Imagine The Hairdryer in such a situation!

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember a few years ago a game being replayed between Arsenal and Sheffield United in the FA Cup after Kanu intercepted and scored what was meant to be a sporting back pass to the Sheffield United keeper but Arsene Wenger said he wanted the match replayed as he thought it was unsporting how they won the game in the way they did and it duly was replayed...now baring in mind the sporting back pass is an unwritten rule in Football and the game was replayed, how can the FA justify not replaying this one between Watford and Reading when this is an error that is as clear as day?? Not even a Sunday league linesman wouldve made such a howler like that one.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
Plain stupid decision by the FA.

Not surprised one bit though. If it had a Prem league game, the result would've been declared void, and they would have replayed it.

The FA don't give a monkeys about anything outside the Prem.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Plain stupid decision by the FA.

Not surprised one bit though. If it had a Prem league game, the result would've been declared void, and they would have replayed it.

The FA don't give a monkeys about anything outside the Prem.
I got the impression that it was the Football League that made the decision - see previous page for their statement.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
I got the impression that it was the Football League that made the decision - see previous page for their statement.
Oops, didn't see your link. That'll teach me to read the whole thread properly ! :)

Ah well, same sh*t, different day ! ;)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Not even a Sunday league linesman wouldve made such a howler like that one.
Hmmm..... Running the line in a u10s game at Liphook a few years back. I'm still sure I was right.*-)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I remember a few years ago a game being replayed between Arsenal and Sheffield United in the FA Cup after Kanu intercepted and scored what was meant to be a sporting back pass to the Sheffield United keeper but Arsene Wenger said he wanted the match replayed as he thought it was unsporting how they won the game in the way they did and it duly was replayed...now baring in mind the sporting back pass is an unwritten rule in Football and the game was replayed, how can the FA justify not replaying this one between Watford and Reading when this is an error that is as clear as day?? Not even a Sunday league linesman wouldve made such a howler like that one.
I think a key difference was the timing of the goal. Kanu's goal was scored with practically the last kick of the game, thus meaning Sheffield United had no time to get up the other end and score. In this match Watford had time to make amends (indeed they did - they didn't lose as a result).

Not necessarily condoning the decision, as I think a replay would have been fair, but trying to find reason behind it.

Must dash, got some splinters to remove from my backside.

Grecian1987

If Reading were any decent, they would have let Watford go up the other end and score straight afterwards. I remember a couple of years back in a Yeovil(?), one team accidentally scored from a drop ball backpass, so the other team let them score from the restart. Reading should have done that.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If Reading were any decent, they would have let Watford go up the other end and score straight afterwards. I remember a couple of years back in a Yeovil(?), one team accidentally scored from a drop ball backpass, so the other team let them score from the restart. Reading should have done that.
Woking against, I think Grays.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, happened both with Woking and Yeovil (wasn't Yeovil's one against the Slime?).

There is that consideration - many have said about it, that Reading should've let Watford go up the other end and score.