• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Randell Williams joins Exeter City from Watford

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some quite ridiculous comments about Williams on this thread of late. Not even going to bother.......

grecIAN Harris

And has he been as good as last season? No.

Has he been as bad as The majority are making out? No.

He has provided a few opportunities that should have been sitters earlier in the season. And if those opportunities weren’t for players that are liked (Jay, Randall) perhaps the negativity would be aimed towards them.

Since injury I would agree that he has not done well. But you can guarantee that if Randall is out of form when he gets back, you know people will cut him some slack.
People can deal with form if there is effort and commitment there. I know Williams has a relaxed appearance about him anyway, which doesn't help, but there is no apparent effort or commitment and from what I can see not just on the pitch but on the training ground also. As I've said before, Williams can't cross a bingo card with his right foot. What has he done about it? The evidence is absolutely bugger all. Whereas Jokkul publicly acknowledges his kicking is weak but since then you can see there is an improvement and better consistancy about his ground clearances. He still has the odd one during a game but you don't, or at least I don't, have a fear and dread every time the ball is with him on the deck. When Williams gets the ball and goes down the line you just switch off because you know the best you might get is that he might just scuff it into the defender and get a corner. And as you want to compare him to Randall, at least you with Joel his going to give you options both ways when we're attacking (ie he will show short and he will look to get in behind), whereas Williams just stands on the touchline waiting for a ball to feet 99% of the time. I've been a little bit critical of Joel about his lack of physicality since he came back from injury (getting knocked around too easily and being weak in physical contact) but he was still finding his moments in a game and making them count. Can you say the same about Williams since his return? I'd loved to see the one line for the case for defence because that's just about all you'll muster.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Williams has had a very very average season, since he returned from injury he's been appalling.

His end product has been horrendous for much of this season.

People compare him to Joel Randall, some including Sturtz even think Williams is better ! You couldn't make it up, Joel Randall is on a different planet as a footballer.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Was it Hull City that Williams turned down a move to at the beginning of the Season ?

Hull were promoted to the Championship yesterday.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't see it but shocked to hear Williams is the reason for our poor performance, expecially as he only got ten minutes!
Who said he was ??

He was poor yet again however I haven't read that anyone said he was the reason for our poor performance yesterday.

jimbo-gould

People compare him to Joel Randall
Comparing the two of them this season is chalk and cheese. Randall’s season has obviously been far better.

Comparing Randall this season with 15 goal contributions (10G & 5A) to Williams last year with 20 (15A & 5G) then I don’t think there’s much between them.

I’m all for admitting Williams has not had a good season, but the way some on here are making out (not necessarily you I’m just picking up on the Joel comparison) it’s like he’s an awful player rather than a form issue.

Reactions: Ash

grecIAN Harris

Comparing the two of them this season is chalk and cheese. Randall’s season has obviously been far better.

Comparing Randall this season with 15 goal contributions (10G & 5A) to Williams last year with 20 (15A & 5G) then I don’t think there’s much between them.

I’m all for admitting Williams has not had a good season, but the way some on here are making out (not necessarily you I’m just picking up on the Joel comparison) it’s like he’s an awful player rather than a form issue.
But he is nowhere as good as some of you think he is. He could be but that is down to him and what he is prepared to do about it.

jimbo-gould

But he is nowhere as good as some of you think he is. He could be but that is down to him and what he is prepared to do about it.
I never understand why some people assume because a player may not be good at some things it implies they’re not trying. Yet when there’s a player who’s good at nothing there’s no similar comments. Fisher is good at nothing, yet the lack of post stating he has no desire aren’t there. What’s the difference?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I never understand why some people assume because a player may not be good at some things it implies they’re not trying. Yet when there’s a player who’s good at nothing there’s no similar comments. Fisher is good at nothing, yet the lack of post stating he has no desire aren’t there. What’s the difference?
If you genuinely think Williams generally puts enough into his performances you are kidding yourself. His work rate is p!ss poor more often than not.

ExmouthMart

I think the benchmark for Taylor and players like Williams was the Argyle game. He was superb and showed exactly what he can do. We were really at it in that game. That’s what’s so frustrating. We just can’t find any consistency and can’t seem to build on good results and take it forward. Is it players believing in themselves or man management by the Manager?! Something not right somewhere.