• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Racism in football

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
One of the legacies of the British Empire is that multiculturalism has always been more prevalent in the UK. France, Portugal and Holland also had a large post colonial history of immigration from their previous colonies. This means issues and development of attitudes around race have been going on for longer than in some other European countries.

I think you could almost look at the respective make up of our national sides going back 40 years (more for Portugal) and see the difference between European countries. The abuse that say Balotelli and Kean have faced in Italy as Italian players you could almost equate to Regis, Barnes, Cunningham and so on from the late seventies and eighties. That would also go for the "casual" racism displayed.

That is not to say everything is rosy here of course and it is in no way a question of accepting racism anywhere it raises it's unacceptable head.

Oldsmobile-88

Strange post. Italian football clubs' ultras are notoriously rascist and always were. Di Canio's nazi salute to Lazio fans ?
Lazio was Mussolini’s team.
Obviously long deep routed..When Di Cannio was questioned about giving the Nazi salute,he denied being a Nazi,but said he was a Fascist..Draw your own conclusion from that statement !

Oldsmobile-88

Depressingly another couple of incidents yesterday.
The ***** at FGR was challenged & identified by his fellow supporters to the club.

Man City are still investigating their incident.If they check Twitter they will soon nail the idiot.
I hope the PL (& EFL)also look into the continued incidents of coins being thrown at players & apply sanctions.

Alistair20000

Depressingly another couple of incidents yesterday.
The ***** at FGR was challenged & identified by his fellow supporters to the club.

Man City are still investigating their incident.If they check Twitter they will soon nail the idiot.
I hope the PL (& EFL)also look into the continued incidents of coins being thrown at players & apply sanctions.
Lifetime ban from football grounds and Plod should also act against these moronic counts

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I saw that a Mum left with her young child. :(

Legohead

Banned
Do these racists ever get ordered to attend some sort of psychological health course? Such as getting them to learn and understand where this racist behaviour might come from within themselves so they can challenge their beliefs etc? Some sort of cognitive behavioural therapy combined with education to help them challenge their beliefs about racism. Otherwise they will serve their punishment and simply go back out in to the world again holding the same beliefs and opinions. I know it sounds a bit namby pamby but there is some fault with their belief system that somehow has been embedded in their thinking and until that fault is truly challenged, nothing will change with an individual.

You can ban them, fine them. Even lock them up but afterwards they'll still have racist views unless the core issue is addressed.

Legohead

Banned
Heard a caller on a radio station today who is petitioning the Government to introduce a 'racism offenders register' which would work like the sex offenders register a little and be on record for prospective employers to see etc. Thought that was a good idea.

Also there is a meeting at the New Den, Millwall today where over 50 representatives of EFL clubs are due to meet to discuss actions going forward with regards to racism. Does anybody know if we have a representative there today and if not why not as all EFL clubs were invited.

Ian Russon

Well I had fancied visiting Italy one day soon as I've never been but I won't do now. I don't want to visit an institutionally racist country and therefore backwards country.
Do not let the bad media of racism put you off. I have traveled far and wide and without doubt Italy is the nicest country I have ever been.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah I agree. Love Italy me, the Italians I met were generally great people and can't wait to talk football especially when you make the attempt to speak their language. You should go Lego.

Legohead

Banned
Anyone know if we have a club rep at the racism meeting in London today at Millwall FC?