• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Proposal To End Free Parking In The Evening At Exeter City Centre Car Parks

Leads

Well that’s another nail in the city centre then
Don’t complain when there are loads of empty shops
Most shops have closed by 6pm, so not sure how much effect either positive or negative this would have.

Free parking in a car park after 6pm isn't a God given right and with the change in working/living patterns and the continued stretch on Local Government finances I can see why this would be under consideration. In terms of attendances at SJP, there could well be implications.

Memphis09

Most shops have closed by 6pm, so not sure how much effect either positive or negative this would have.

Free parking in a car park after 6pm isn't a God given right and with the change in working/living patterns and the continued stretch on Local Government finances I can see why this would be under consideration. In terms of attendances at SJP, there could well be implications.
Yes agree I was thinking more about Saturday nights and at Christmas time

Yes, but cinemas and restaurants do most of their business in the evenings.

Radio Free Skaro

Not got much of a problem with this proposal. If you can afford to run a car you can afford an extra £4-£5 for parking or whatever on the handful of occasions per season we play evening games.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh for the days when buses would line up in the lay-by in Blackboy Road ready to take supporters to the 4 corners of the city at the end of the match with cheap fares
Wasn't there a water trough there for the horses as well? 🤪

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh for the days when buses would line up in the lay-by in Blackboy Road ready to take supporters to the 4 corners of the city at the end of the match with cheap fares
In they days you could catch a bus to the match from Commercial Road close to Exe Bridge.

ALOTBSOL

This is actually quite significant for those who work in town (including at the club) doing jobs that aren't 9-5. Hospitality and entertainment in particular see their peek business hours fall on evenings and weekends.

Not only does that mean that their customers are going to have to fork out on extra parking charges, but their staff will too.

For someone who works "full time" in the lower paid end of hospitality (which tends to be younger folk on the lower age scales of minimum wage), this change could end up costing the better part of a day's pay per week. If anyone thinks that is sustainable, or part and parcel of running a car, I'm sure they'd be happy for you to donate a day of your pay to recompence them.

Having worked in the cinema industry myself, I've had many a shift that have finished after all bus services finish, meaning a car is the only way I could get to and from work. And while those industries often require 5 days of work, that doesn't always equate to full time hours. These changes will even further disadvantage this type of worker, who may not actually have a huge amount of choice when it comes employment options.

Worth a thought when you next grab a pie or a pint at an evening kick off.

We frequent the odeon cinema on a regular basis,and use the parr street car park.it’s alright saying it’s only a few quid more,but people who work in the cinema and hospitality don’t tend to be earning a wedge,so once again another short sighted anti car policy by mr byalik and his cohorts !

Alfie 1966

The park &ride at Honiton Road became a disaster for E.C.F.C fans after stagecoach route change. Yet they can put on special buses from the city to Sandy Park on match days

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
The park &ride at Honiton Road became a disaster for E.C.F.C fans after stagecoach route change. Yet they can put on special buses from the city to Sandy Park on match days
That service has gone to the dogs.