• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Proper Interesting Thread

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been told some top pub trivia.

Back in the days of the wild west a gun-toting pioneer or cowboy could buy a measure of whiskey in a saloon bar for around 9 cents, this was also the price of a bullet. They could trade in a bullet for a drink and that is why a tot of spirit became known as a "shot".

Anybody else know anything proper interesting ?

GJW

When saying goodbye to someone I generally say “ see you later”, even though I have no intention of seeing them later.

“I’ll do it/start tomorrow” is my favourite saying. This will be on my headstone.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
When the young Matt Busby moved to England he had his first telephone installed in his new home. In those days the listing in the telephone directory was name followed by occupation. The person adding Busby's details must have struggled with his broad Scottish accent and listed his profession as Fruitboiler.

contrabombarde

Only the very rich and famous are and have been buried inside a church or cathedral. In the old days they weren’t buried very deep and after only a few days the decomposing corpse inevitably gave off a horrible smell. Hence the term “ stinking rich “

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is this the “Did you know?” thread?

Alistair20000

Good point Fred. Not a lot of people know that.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this the “Did you know?” thread?
This thread is for cool FACTS. The Did You Know thread is for made up stuff about tramps on trampolines and Clive Pring's rolling contract etc and therefore a completely different kettle of fish.

Grecian2K

Wombat poo is cube-shaped

OUCH

Note to our Antipodean friends though. Please do not feed your pet wombats on a diet of Vindaloos and ExLax. It is neither clever not funny...at least, not for the poor wombat. :(

Last edited:

IndoMike

Wombat poo is cube-shaped

OUCH

Note to our Antipodean friends though. Please do not feed your pet wombats on a diet of Vindaloos and ExLax. It is neither clever not funny...at least, not for the poor wombat. :(
Sh^t a brick !

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only the very rich and famous are and have been buried inside a church or cathedral. In the old days they weren’t buried very deep and after only a few days the decomposing corpse inevitably gave off a horrible smell. Hence the term “ stinking rich “
On the subject of death it's not unheard for people to miraculously return to life after apparently dying. As it's a bit of a worry to be buried alive a deceased person was often left to lie in their home for a few days surrounded by family and friends in the hope that there would be a recovery.

And that is why a gathering after a death is called a "wake".