• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League 21/22

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Met should have more pressing issues to investigate..Women feeling unsafe on the streets & knife crime in the capital to start with.
Rainbow laces day at the other St James Park will have the whiff of hypocrisy around it.
Exactly Olds, Update: Police have said there is nothing to proceed on, So nothing more will be investigated, As it should of been.

DB9

At the moment Villa look a very poor side, I had said they were the epitome of a one man team and since Grealish left for Man City they are a shadow of last seasons side, Ollie is feeding off scraps and Ings might not be the answer (Injured or suspended today) They've now lost four on the bounce, West Ham are looking a good side, Moyes has a real exciting team and today swept Villa aside, Even before the sending off they were the better side.

sign of the chimes

At the moment Villa look a very poor side, I had said they were the epitome of a one man team and since Grealish left for Man City they are a shadow of last seasons side, Ollie is feeding off scraps and Ings might not be the answer (Injured or suspended today) They've now lost four on the bounce, West Ham are looking a good side, Moyes has a real exciting team and today swept Villa aside, Even before the sending off they were the better side.
It looks like a combination of Grealish going and his replacements taking time to find their feet; alongside some bad luck with player availabilty and others out of form.

Starts like this can be very difficult to arrest - even if some of the issues they're currently facing do clear up in the near future. Dean Smith 13/2 with bookies at the moment as the next PL manager to get the heave-ho (his odds were double figures-to-one last week). I hope he is able to turn it around.

Edit - West Ham look pretty irresistable at the moment - I wondered whether they'd struggle to maintain last season's form with their fanbase back in the stadium - but it's all looking very rosy for them this season.

Reactions: DB9

Rosencrantz

West Ham look pretty irresistable at the moment - I wondered whether they'd struggle to maintain last season's form with their fanbase back in the stadium - but it's all looking very rosy for them this season.
It does look like Moyes has managed to replicate what he had going on at Goodison Park for years. Well organised and tight knit squad with a bit of quality going forward. The only problem I think that could hit him is the same as he had at Everton. Lasting the distance of a long European and cup added season with a small squad. Keeping hold of the important players, in this case Rice and Soucek, who are the heartbeat of the side.

sign of the chimes

It does look like Moyes has managed to replicate what he had going on at Goodison Park for years. Well organised and tight knit squad with a bit of quality going forward. The only problem I think that could hit him is the same as he had at Everton. Lasting the distance of a long European and cup added season with a small squad. Keeping hold of the important players, in this case Rice and Soucek, who are the heartbeat of the side.
Agree with that regarding the medium-term outlook. I have to say he's working under owners and for a fanbase that I'd not fancy working for; but this has been a bit of a redemption appointment after a series of mis-steps that started with the United job (not that anyone would have turned it down from the position he was in at that stage). As a slightly vindictive type, I'd quite like him to take another job in March while they're challenging for the top 4, just to witness some frothing from their owners about loyalty.

Bridgy 81

Charlie Goode is launching long throws into Everton’s penalty area for Brentford this afternoon.
It wasn’t too far back when he was doing likewise for Northampton against us in the 2020 playoff final.
Thomas Frank maybe a master tactician but he’s obviously not averse to bunging it in the mixer.

Alistair20000

Benitez the next PL sacking ?

sign of the chimes

Benitez the next PL sacking ?
Everton look horrible at the moment. It seemed a bizarre appointment at the time - and not because of his previous affiliation.

That said the current ownership seem to have the knack for making the wrong call managerially. I guess it's heartening to see that organisations with that much money running through them can be run so ineptly.

Rosencrantz

Everton look horrible at the moment. It seemed a bizarre appointment at the time - and not because of his previous affiliation.

That said the current ownership seem to have the knack for making the wrong call managerially. I guess it's heartening to see that organisations with that much money running through them can be run so ineptly.
It was a tough appointment to make with the baggage that comes with it but whoever was appointed would need a lot of time to turn that unbalanced squad around. They had, and still have, a lot of dead wood to shift and with the FFP situation, very little room for manoeuvre thanks to previous mismanagement on a grand scale.

He actually got off to a good start but when the teams attacking play is built around supplying DCL for goals and he gets a long term injury, there just isn't a viable Plan B. Add in Richarlison, Doucoure and Mina missing large chunks and the spine of the side is gone and the available replacements not good enough. Today it was striking that at 1-0 down, Demarei Gray was the only substitute he trusted to go on.

Having made the appointment as they see it as a pair of safe hands, I feel they have to keep their nerve, get the injuries out of the way and get to next summer's transfer window in much better shape to actually build a squad that is more compatible with each other. Otherwise the circle of hell will just continue. (Unless they put Big Dunc back in charge 🙂).

As you can probably tell, I do have a soft (toffee) spot. My choice in the summer where the names being touted were either unrealistic or underwhelming would have been to try and get Graham Potter out of Brighton or failing that Steve Cooper. But appointing promising young British managers is not in fashion in the PL with "ambition" owners.

Last edited:

manc grecian

The sooner he's out the club the better. I wouldn't be arsed if we lost by plenty tomorrow night if he meant he ****** off