• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier league 2018/19

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/22/mike-ashley-took-10m-newcastle-summer-despite-pledge-back-rafa/

He does, According to this like to take out some much needed transfer kitty for himself. TBH Newcastle's location is much like ours, An out of the way part of the UK, Unlike London or the Northwest, Footballers prefer to be near the bright lights and i can't see the NE in mid-winter being much of a draw to decent players

Colesman Ballz

Ashley is only concerned with money. For example take the Exeter House of Fraser (aka Dingles/Colsons). Under the previous ownership's restructuring plan, the loss making Plymouth store was to close, and the profitable Exeter one to remain. Now under his ownership the decisions have been reversed, why ? Probably because they own the Exeter store, and can flog it off for a tidy sum, and offer the staff a relocation and save on redundancy payments, whilst negotiating a peppercorn rent in Plymouth.

grecIAN Harris

I heard selling off that plot could prove problematic due to it's size. If it is sold it would have to go through a major redevelopment because there isn't the demand for units of that size any more on the High Street.

Terryhall

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/22/mike-ashley-took-10m-newcastle-summer-despite-pledge-back-rafa/

He does, According to this like to take out some much needed transfer kitty for himself. TBH Newcastle's location is much like ours, An out of the way part of the UK, Unlike London or the Northwest, Footballers prefer to be near the bright lights and i can't see the NE in mid-winter being much of a draw to decent players
David Ginola and Tino Asprilla didn't mind back in the day!

DB9

David Ginola and Tino Asprilla didn't mind back in the day!
That was 20 years ago, Nowadays the NE isn't on a footballers radar and at the moment NUFC aren't a good proposition from a business or football point of view

Terryhall

That was 20 years ago, Nowadays the NE isn't on a footballers radar and at the moment NUFC aren't a good proposition from a business or football point of view
I disagree, I think Mike Ashley is the problem rather than the city of Newcastle. Liverpool isn't exactly the most glamourous city in the world, neither in Manchester, but they still attract world-class players. Newcastle is no different.

DB9

Difference is Terry, Manchester and Liverpool are known in the football world to be winners and have had a lot of success over the years, Their names are all over foreign newspapers and media because they're constantly in the CL Players play for big national teams. Newcastle have won nothing over the last 4 decades or so an can't imagine their name bandied about as much as others. They are just a big club in Newcastle because they have no other team within the city

Terryhall

Sure; but the same was true 20 years ago, but with the right owner backing the manager to pay the right wages and transfer fees, you did get world class stars moving to the north east. Not only Newcastle - Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Leeds.... if the money's right then players will go there.

I'm not talking the likes of Messi or Ronaldo - but once Ashley is gone and Newcastle has some more solid ownership I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a resurgence from them precisely because there is no other team in the city. I think that's hugely in their favour.

DB9

It is a huge bonus being the only team but I just don't think the big foreign money men would go there but I'll be happy to be proved wrong

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Cracking game between palace & Arsenal earlier to watch....

Huddersfield will be relegated by Xmas & Fulham May not be far behind.....